Wrong damage indicator directions....

Vlaxep

Howdy,

The UI Damage indicators seem to be pointing in the direction of the attacker in relation to the cursor, rather than indicating the direction of the attacker in relation to the player, is this the intended behaviour?

So for example if when damaged by an attacker and view is facing directly toward the attacker, if I aim cursor above the attacker, the arrow points down, if cursor is aimed below the attacker, the arrow moves to point up. This is not intuitive in that, an arrow pointing down would usually indicate that the damage is coming from behind the player.

Is there a way to change this behaviour so it is directional based on the player > attacker relation?

Thanks

The indicator will point in the direction of the attacker. Maybe you are receiving a target that you aren't expecting? You can debug this by placing a breakpoint within DamageIndicatorMonitor.OnDamage.

The indicator will point in the direction of the attacker. Maybe you are receiving a target that you aren't expecting? You can debug this by placing a breakpoint within DamageIndicatorMonitor.OnDamage.
Hi Justin, when you say it will point in the direction of the attacker, is that with the origin being the cursor ie. center of the screen, or originating from the player to the attacker then translated to the UI overlay?

I'll post a screenshot to demonstrate my problem soon

It is relative from the camera position. The cursor is not used. Unfortunately a screenshot won't really help since it doesn't have the values that are used by the OnDamage method. I recommend setting a breakpoint/debug logs in OnDamage to figure out what is being sent to the method.

DamageIndicator.png

Sounds like what you're saying is this IS the intended behaviour? or is this not the intended result?

Should a hit from the front ONLY produce an arrow in the UP direction, or my screenshot showing what should be produced?

I don't know about breakpoints so I'll have to look it up.

It looks like your camera angle changed so that's the difference. The system uses the character's pivot position and my guess is that the pivot position is down relative to the camera position. In the second image the pivot is above the camera position.

There is the PivotOffset object which can adjust this position. The DamageIndicatorMonitor doesn't use this but it would be easy to add for the next update.