Free Climb won't climb straight up, only diagonal.

Zax

Ok so I have had some success integrating the add ons for agility and climb. I am using the latest version of everything, clean new project with nothing but UCC and add ons installed. Clean new scene. I am using Atlas from the main demo of UCC. So he is loaded with all the ride, drive, and melee abilities and all the other cool stuff from the demo. I used the add on manager to install both agility and climbing pack. After changing the order of a few of the abilities and changing the -1 object ID to match the ability index on crawl and balance I have almost everything working correctly. I also set up the states in the components just as the instructions said. The Airborne state added to the Free Climb ability. The FreeClimb state added to the Animator Monitor component. The FreeClimb state added to the Character IK component. I have now only one glitch I cannot seem to solve.

So here is my issue. When I jump onto a free climb wall (which has the correct identifier script) character sticks to wall as it should but when I press W or the Up arrow it does a slight twitch but will not move upward. Oddly enough when I press W+D or W+A (or up arrow and right or left arrow) it will climb diagonally just fine. It goes down with S or down arrow just fine as well. Side to side works good as does around corners. it simply refuses to go straight up as it does in the demo. Anyone else run into this issue or can think of a possible solution to fix it?

Thanks in advance to any advice.

To get started so the free climb ability work correctly in the demo scene? What if you bring in your character to that scene, does it work? This will indicate if it is a character or object issue.

First of all thanks Justin for the prompt response. This asset has come a long way since you took over. I am loving it.

Yes everything works great in the demo. I brought my character build to the demo scene and replaced climbing atlas. I get the same result as in my scene. No upward movement unless combined with side move keys. It even twitches when you press W like it wants to move up but does not. I have compared my character to climbing atlas and it appears to be set up exactly the same. Of course mine has all the added abilities from the main demo (which I want in my character). I basically cloned the atlas from the main demo then added the two add ons. With a few minor tweaks I have gotten everything else in the climb and agility pack to work with my character. Ladder climb and short climb work perfectly. Hang works as it should too. I made a copy of the climb wall and brought it into my clean scene and still get the same effect. So it is definitely a character issue not an object issue.

What if you bring it Atlas from the demo scene to your scene? Does it work?

This sounds like it's something on your free climb object that is preventing the character from traversing up. If you enable the debug lines on the ability do the rays appear in the correct position and not obstruct anything?

I brought climbing Atlas into my test scene. He climbs the wall perfectly no issues. I created a simple cube wall and added the identifier script. So I do not think there are any obstructions. I will try the ray cast thing though and let you know. I also brought over the exact wall from the demo. Still same results. Climbing Atlas works fine but mine still just stutters when pressing W. I have most of the add ons already incorporated into my Atlas. Swimming, Agility, and climbing. Everything else is working perfectly in every way.

This definitely sounds like something specific to your character then. Maybe another ability is activating which prevents climb from moving straight up? What if you disable all other abilities?

Ok that was a good plan. I disabled all other bilities and it worked. I then enabled one at a time until I found the problem. The "Stop Movement Animation" ability was the culprit. That was an ability ported over from the main demo atlas. Any idea what it was used for and if it is even necessary? Right now I disabled it and climb now works perfectly. I checked the other abilities and they seem to be working fine so unsure what that one was used for but at least it appears to be working now.