Changing the materials of game first and third person gameobjects

I'm trying to make a game character who can turn mostly transparent. I am currently doing this by manually switching the materials on all the characters meshes. This works fine except when it comes to the arms: toggling the transparency causes the third person arms to be visible when they shouldn't be. Is there a way I can swap the materials while staying compatible the different perspectives? Or better yet is there a way to change a gameobjects transparency without changing it's material?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

How do you swap the material? You might interfere with the material swapper. The material swapper assigns the InvisibleShadowCaster material to the third person arms when in first person view, so they become transparent. You should make sure that this works without you swapping the material. Then you can check what happens when you switch to your transparent material.

How do you swap the material? You might interfere with the material swapper. The material swapper assigns the InvisibleShadowCaster material to the third person arms when in first person view, so they become transparent. You should make sure that this works without you swapping the material. Then you can check what happens when you switch to your transparent material.
Thanks for the advice. I got it working by listening for the OnPerspective changed events and reapplying the material when it was called. I appreciate the help.