Can the 'mesh collider' be used with the character controller instead of 'capsule' and 'sphere' colliders ?

dfernand

Can the 'mesh collider' be used with the character controller instead of 'capsule' and 'sphere' colliders ?

What would happen if I were to attempt to go into a unity character with the character controller locomotion and remove the capsule collider and try and replace it
with a 'mesh collider' ?

I know in the documentation it states only 'capsule' and 'sphere colliders' are supported but what will replacing say the capsule collider with a mesh collider actually break in the Opsive character controller if anything ?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm developing combat using humanoid characters and would like precision in the collision detection. Worst case scenario is that I use the Opsive character controller for global world roaming and adventuring and then maybe some alternative character controller that can handle mesh colliders for the actual combat but this is not ideal.

thanks in advance for my question answered.

Last edited:
How do you intend to use a mesh collider? The mesh collider uses a static mesh, so it won't be able to cover any movement of the character!?

The controller does not support mesh colliders. There is not the necessary physics API in order to support that collider type.

How do you intend to use a mesh collider? The mesh collider uses a static mesh, so it won't be able to cover any movement of the character!?
yeah I just tested it and what you state is true, I thought I could use a skinned mesh renderer and mesh collider and the mesh collider would just magically follow the shape of the skinned mesh as the bones move and the skinned mesh follows with them ... but that is certainly not the case, so the mesh collider is just a static collider, sadly. Also a programmatic solution which would be to create a new mesh collider for every x milliseconds and bake it onto the skinned mesh is not viable as I can see quite a few problems with that.

So I guess it will have to be capsule colliders on the bone, which is not a bad solution, good enough for most beat 'em ups but quite labor intensive but at least I'll get to keep Opsive Character controller for combat and also adventuring world . Anyone know of a tool that can automatically put capsule colliders on all humanoid bones ? lol

You can use the ragdoll ability. It provides a button to create ragdoll colliders (based on the Unity ragdoll wizard).

You can use the ragdoll ability. It provides a button to create ragdoll colliders (based on the Unity ragdoll wizard).
thanks yes, I have many new tools to investigate and consider for the optimal solution, I've even got the Rag Doll tool from the guy who makes Final IK and I believe it's supported for integration with Opsive ultimate Character Controller (or at least Final IK is).