WoW-like RPG movement type

conraddu

Hello,

I am trying to get camera and movement behavior identical to World of Warcraft's. The RPG camera and movement type in Opsive is close, but getting the behaviors I want out of it is tricky and I am hoping for some pointers. In WoW, when a player presses only A or D, their character rotates in place and turns the camera with them (much like the RPG movement type with the Fire3 button). If a player presses W while also pressing A or D, their character turns and faces their forward direction while moving in the desired direction (much like the Action movement type, or the RPG movement type while Fire3 is held down and the character walks forward).

I was investigating the code behind the RPG camera and movement type, and it seems like the logic to rotate in place with Fire3 is completely dependent on the Mouse X input. How would you recommend I go about adapting this rotating behavior to work with the A and D buttons (Horizontal Axis)?

Thanks for your time.

Using Opsive v3.0.13 and unity 2022.3.2f1

For this I would create a new Movement Type and View Type that allows you to further customize the input. The RPG type is close and you should definitely use that as a guide, but for this I wouldn't subclass it and instead create a brand new movement/view type.