Will jitter be fixed in 2.1.1?

chrisk

Hi, Justin,

I was wondering if the jitter problem will be addressed in 2.1.1.
Right now if probably a good time before you start working on next Ability pack.
I really hope so.

Please let us choose Update or FixedUpdate in the update loop and I hope it will solve many problems related to jittering.

Thanks and I really appreciate your support.

Justin, the jittering seems to be worse in 2.1 than before.
FixedUpdate seems to skip time and it sometimes it jitters really badly. When FixedUpdate skips the time, there is nothing you can do about it.

You probably didn't see it in UCC demo because it's relatively simple but my scene has a lot more going like vehicles and lots more objects.

Please give us Update() as an option.
Thanks.

Are you using First or Third person perspective?
If first, the shaking usually occurs when you are far away from Origin but close to origin works ok. On third works always fine for me.

I hope it's still part of 2.1.1.

I just try to merge FixedUpdate() into Update() in DeterministicObjectManager and everything moves buttery smooth, except that the animation and movement speeds are slowed down. It is expected of course since the timing has changed. I could fix the animation speed easily but there are many fixedTimeDelta hardcoded.
I'm surprised to find out that it works without much problems.

Riding a vehicle whether are you sitting on the seat or move around a fast moving platform moves without any jitter. How wonderful!!
You don't have to do anything special to make it work. It just works!!

It might be much simpler than I originally thought but I don't expect adding a choosable update loop would be a simple change.
But it's definitely doable.

You can make FixedUpdate as the default and let us choose Update as an option, then it won't affect existing user at all.
But I'm sure 90% of the users will want to choose Update as default if they know what it does. ^^

If you are making a fighting game with many fast random moves, choose FixedUpdate, and if not, I would choose Update.

Please save us from the jitter hell.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for 2.1.1 update. Calling DeterministicObjectManger to KinematicObjectManager makes sense and it can handle both Deterministic and non-Deterministic way. Awesome!

Animation can be updated in either mode but the position is still updating deterministic way only and causing the jitter.
I think the culprit is FixedUpdate in KinematicObjectManager. Can you please make it user choosable?

Having two places to set the option doesn't make sense to make position and animation update differently, thus it probably makes more sense to make the option available from KinematicObjectManager.

Thanks.

I do not plan on changing this as the collision detection code needs to be run in FixedUpdate. I also am not able to reproduce any jitter even after setting the anchor of the camera to the character's right hand. Ensure you have set the Smoothed Bones on the Ultimate Character Locomotion for your character.

giphy.gif

Hmm... not sure why collision detection must happen in FixedUpdate. Is this some sort of limitation in UCC? A quick test merging FixedUpdate into Update works just fine except that the character is moving slow. If you require many collision tests in-between the frame in a fighting game, for example, you will need to use FixedUpdate of course but in most of the case, it will just be fine.

Stay Zoom-in and try to jump, and ride on a moving object and see if it jitters. It will jitter. UCC demo is relatively light and you won't see the jitter but as the frame drop more, the effect is exaggerated. FixedUpdate doesn't even guarantee that it will be called in a fixed rate; it seems to skips the time when frame drops. The train video(
) I showed you is still the same since there are update discrepancies will happen no matter what. I think I try to explain that the jitter cannot be removed completely unless the FixedUpdate is changed.

I'm not sure about the smoothed bone but I'll take another look but if the update happens on Update, you don't really need to smooth anything because it will be smoothed by the frame update. UCC's FixedUpdate loop is the most expensive part and I think it will help increase the perf.

Please consider again having Kinematic also supports Update.

Thanks.

Last edited: