Why is everything constantly breaking?

JohnThicc

Maybe I'm just an absolute moron, maybe I have terrible luck or maybe the addon is terribly unstable, I don't know! Reliability is a coin flip at this point.

ANYWAY

1613247613628.png All these states were activating and running perfectly fine, THEN I decided to have the Run state be blocked by the Use state, and now none of them work! :LOL::LOL: As you can see, I already set them to be blocked by nothing, didn't help at all.

Last edited:
Mucked around a bit and put the Pistol presets in these slots on my weapon, it worked. I said ok how about making another fresh set of presets, they didn't work either.... So I opened one of my custom presets up in Notepad++ and compared it to one of the Pistol assets and what I found was this: 1613307237811.png

For whatever reason, the m_ValueHashes, m_ValuePositions and m_Values fields are empty, even though I've added properties to the preset in Unity... I just want to know what I'm doing wrong lol. If I copy over the values from those fields the preset works so ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️.

Last edited:
Are you able to reproduce the problem within a fresh project using the latest version? The state system has been stable throughout the past couple of years so I'm not sure what is going on with your project, unless something didn't get merged correctly with an update.

Are you able to reproduce the problem within a fresh project using the latest version? The state system has been stable throughout the past couple of years so I'm not sure what is going on with your project, unless something didn't get merged correctly with an update.
I made a fresh project and tested it, it works fine with the default weapons but if I make a preset for my custom weapon they don't activate. It makes zero sense to me.

Honestly looks like some kind of issue with your files, e.g. Notepad++ overwriting changes in some weird way, or changes getting overwritten if you're using Collab/version control, or something like that. Never seen this before either...

Honestly looks like some kind of issue with your files, e.g. Notepad++ overwriting changes in some weird way, or changes getting overwritten if you're using Collab/version control, or something like that. Never seen this before either...
Not using any version control or collaboration tools at the moment and Notepad++ wouldn't really overwite anything, it's not even my default text viewer I just randomly had the idea of opening one of these presets to try and see if anything funky was going on. It's very strange that it's only happening on custom weapons.

Can you list the steps to reproduce? There isn't anything from the presets/state system that knows that it's a weapon created within the demo scene so there's something else going on.

Can you list the steps to reproduce? There isn't anything from the presets/state system that knows that it's a weapon created within the demo scene so there's something else going on.
I made a fresh project, imported the First Person Controller pack, dragged Nolan and FirstPersonArms into the scene, went through the usual character creation process, dragged my weapon into the scene and went through the item creation process. Made my presets in the "First Person Perspective Item" component and gave them the appropriate names and used the same properties as the pistol presets. The states just refuse to activate. If I assign the default pistol presets to the slots, it works fine no problem.

What's even weirder is if I make custom presets for any of the default weapons, like the assault rifle for example, they work... It's so confusing.

I just tried to reproduce it but wasn't able to. I used a cube as the GameObject model in an empty character controller model so it's not using any demo assets. Here's what I did:

1. Imported a fresh copy of the First Person Controller.
2. Created the character without a mesh.
3. Created a new item using a cube.
4. Added a new preset to the First Person Perspective Item component. Activated it when the state name is run.
5. Set the state name to run for the Speed Change ability.
6. Hit play and started running. The preset activated.

You can see my results in this video. There is an error about the base object because I didn't care about the first person hierarchy but that didn't prevent the preset from working.

I just tried to reproduce it but wasn't able to. I used a cube as the GameObject model in an empty character controller model so it's not using any demo assets. Here's what I did:

1. Imported a fresh copy of the First Person Controller.
2. Created the character without a mesh.
3. Created a new item using a cube.
4. Added a new preset to the First Person Perspective Item component. Activated it when the state name is run.
5. Set the state name to run for the Speed Change ability.
6. Hit play and started running. The preset activated.

You can see my results in this video. There is an error about the base object because I didn't care about the first person hierarchy but that didn't prevent the preset from working.

It's so stupid man. I don't know what else to try.

Also try performing the same steps that I performed in the video. Do you get the same results? Make sure you are using a fresh project and it says version 2.2.8.

What versions of UCC and Unity are you on?
Also try performing the same steps that I performed in the video. Do you get the same results? Make sure you are using a fresh project and it says version 2.2.8.
It's not the complete package, it's the First Person Controller and it's 2.2.8, Unity version is 2019.4.8f1.

Doesn't matter though, I opened up Unity tonight, made new presets again and now it's all working correctly... ?‍♂️ Best guess is because I'm running Unity off of a separate SSD it sometimes has privilege issues writing to the project folder on my C:\ drive.