Where to find what (Documentation, Videos, etc.)

Thomas123

I found this very useful asset. But it's really hard to learn beyond the very basics in my opinion. As the basic concept is easy to understand, it's hard to find related tutorials and examples. There is some kind of download page, but I did not find anything helpful yet. It seems that I have to collect every single tutorial from multiple (not Opsive) sources. Hopefully someone has an idea...

I use RPG Builder to build a RPG. Now I wanted to extend their simple AI to get a more realistic RPG. But at first I'd like some basic behaviors:
  • Develop some basic "civil" behaviours, like
    • going to work (a tree),
    • doing a task (cut the tree)
    • moving to a workplace and play another animation
    • going home when its getting dark (ideally interacting with a door to get into the house)
  • Neutral NPCs which
    • Wander around randomly in an area
    • Randomly playing some animation
    • Can be chattet with (Quest Maker)
    • Fight back if attacked
    • Flee if heavily wounded
  • Enemy NPCs
    • Attack the player on sight
    • Call for support if buddies are close by
    • Flee if heavily wounded

Now my questions:
  1. Where do I have to look at, to get some example project with these basic functionalities?? For now I bought the basic asset and movement pack.
  2. My NPCs aren't placed in the scene (like in the tutorials) but spawned on runetime. So I cannot reference the objects yet. How can I use let's say layers tags to identify the player/NPC/Enemy within BD?
  3. What would be a overall architecture to handle these different behaviors?
    1. I saw that you can reuse behavior trees. Is this the way to go?
    2. How do I connect different behavior trees together. E.g. if civil NPC will encounter an enemy he will attack or flee? Otherwise it will do their job.

To answer my 2nd question myself. Maybe this could be the solution. It's hidden within the documentation:

One idea for the documentation. The documentation seems very technical. Maybe an additional, use case specific one would greatly help. Currently I am not interessted in variable types events or such. Only when I feel I need them :)

Where do I have to look at, to get some example project with these basic functionalities?? For now I bought the basic asset and movement pack.
If you take a look at the downloads page there are a few sample projects that don't use any integrations:

For the behavior tree basics I recommend watching this set of videos:

I also recommend taking a look at the Deathmatch AI Kit tree even if you don't have the controller assets because it provides a complete tree:

What would be a overall architecture to handle these different behaviors?
  1. I saw that you can reuse behavior trees. Is this the way to go?
  2. How do I connect different behavior trees together. E.g. if civil NPC will encounter an enemy he will attack or flee? Otherwise it will do their job.
Using external trees is definitely a good way to reuse subtrees of behaviors. With that said, structuring your behavior tree like the Deathmatch AI Kit is what I recommend starting with. This is a very common behavior tree setup and you can use conditional aborts to reevaluate the conditional tasks in order for your agent to decide what to do next.