Visual Effects

MikeGro

Couple of quick questions:
1. How can we use the new Visual Effects Graph that came out with Unity 2018.3 with the player? For example to shoot an effect - like a laser or something made with the Visual Effects Graph instead of a regular bullet?

2. How can we use an asset packet like this: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/particles/spells/realistic-effects-pack-4-85675 to use with our player... ie. the player casts a spell from his hands or shoots one of those effects out of his weapon?

Thanks

The Visual Effects Graph is still in preview and generally I wait until things are fully released before supporting them, but in both of these cases what I would recommend doing is creating a magic item class which derives from the UsableItem class similar to how to the ShootableWeapon and MeleeWeapon. I do plan on creating a magic item class but I haven't been able to add it yet. I hope to get to it for version 2.2 or 2.3.

Thanks for the reply... so you think in Version 2.2 or 2.3, you will have it so we can use effects either for shooting/casting spells from a wand, staff or hands... as well as being able to shoot lasers (or any effect) from a rifle, pistol, etc.? That would be awesome.

The plan is to go all in with magic items when we do add it which would involve casting spells from an object or your hands. Having a particle effect from a shootable weapon would also be neat, I should be able to add it to that release as well :)

Fantastic... opening up shootable weapons (including hands) to effects will allow for an endless amount of options for us to use. And for the spells... or effects... not only allow for "point attacks" ie. a spell or effects hitting the player... but also "area attacks" ie. for poison gas, slow spells (ie. every enemy/player in an area slows their speed down), fire walls - ie. we select an area and a wall of fire is put in that area, etc. etc.

Another thing I hope you add in the future, which I mentioned in another thread is flying... be it like superman... or as if we were a bird, dragon, etc. (or on a bird or dragon or whatever) where in First Person, the camera would "roll" or move up and down with the swaying that occurs when flying from a winged animal.

Thanks for the quick replies!