Using a single model for first and third person views

nanellon

Hi, I am just getting started with UCC and wondering if it is possible to essentially use the 3rd person character setup, but have the camera where the head is for a 1st person view. This would allow the player to look down and see the arms connected to the body, make mirrors simpler, simplify the character setup etc

Reading around the forum I see an update might be coming that merges 1st and 3rd person models, is this in development? If not, do you see any issue doing what I described above? (i.e. using 3rd person mode but placing the camera in the model's head for 1st person view)

edit- Actually it just occurred to me that this may be similar to a full body awareness setup used in VR, except with animators

Last edited:
I can tell you that can be done, I use that setup. It has its own challenges and some tinkering.

There is various ways to do it, from Using the first person camera, the third person camera, or both, the most important thing is change the behaviour of face hiding, changing the first/third item perspectives or using dummy gameobjects to refer them... there is many ways.

Second important thing is remembering that you're really on X kind of perspective in terms of how UCC works, wathever focus you use to achieve that.

Thanks Alarconte, it's good to know that someone else has done this successfully. If I don't get any official word on the unified model I'll start working on it. Just don't want to put the work in if there will be official support coming.

it is possible to essentially use the 3rd person character setup, but have the camera where the head is for a 1st person view. This would allow the player to look down and see the arms connected to the body, make mirrors simpler, simplify the character setup etc
That setup is possible, but it will cause problems with items clipping through walls:

Reading around the forum I see an update might be coming that merges 1st and 3rd person models, is this in development? If not, do you see any issue doing what I described above? (i.e. using 3rd person mode but placing the camera in the model's head for 1st person view)
Can you point me to that thread? I don't think that I've mentioned this anywhere as the result isn't as good due to the object clipping issue.

Hi Justin, it was mentioned by someone else here http://www.opsive.com/forum/index.p...being-visible-front-of-mirror.4431/post-27735
I probably misunderstood the "feature to integrate both parts to give a full compatibility with mirrors" bit, assumed the "parts" meant the 1st and 3rd person models.
I'll continue testing ideas, perhaps using a similar setup to the first person camera to render the entire character. Thanks for linking the article, I suppose the first thing I should be doing is reading the docs.

Well, first of all, if you setup a only third person character (third person combat) and put the camera on a hidden face, UCC will never know the difference in terms on bugs. All the rest go on how well you configure the animations, parameters, and any fix to adjust correct viewing in some situations.

BTW: You're going to need a lot of animations changed to avoid weapon bob, tho, specially for flashlights or things supposed to be held in front of the face.