Unable to initialize "item"

ashulgach

Hi, everyone! I installed Ultimate Character Controller yesterday and I'm trying to set up some custom weapons with the First Person controller. I've followed the steps in the YouTube video by OPSIVE for "Runtime Item Pickups" but I continue to receive errors about "Unable to initialize "item". Ensure the weapon has a collider" and an error about missing a category.

When I walk over the created pick up prefab, I get this error:
1604906879606.png

The item is picked up and spawns under "Items" under the character controller, but in the Inspector, there is an error about the Visible Item.
1604906935403.png
1604906927606.png
I have tried re-creating items using Spheres with colliders in the scene, sphere prefab with collider from Assets, Meshes without colliders, prefabbed mesh with colliders, but no luck.

The character controller was also made following the YouTube tutorial in the same series. I received some suggestions and troubleshooting options on Discord but after going back and fourth for a while it was determined that this is most likely a First Person exclusive issue since the user that was helping me was using the Third Person controller and not running into the same issue even though we both created an item the EXACT same way, verified with screenshots.

Any help to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Just so we are on a common ground, have you tried following the video with exactly the same assets? The videos are accurate with the current version so you should get the same results and this would help explain the flow.

Beyond that, what does the hierarchy of First Person Pipe look like? With the error that you are seeing on the First Person Perspective Item it doesn't look like it is positioned in the correct location.

For the collider you can use the Object ID, see the bottom of the runtime pickup page for Referencing Character Objects: https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-character-controller/items/runtime-pickup/. Note that you only need to do this if the collider is on the character, such as for a fist. If the collider is on the first person object then you can reference it directly. The katana is a runtime pickup so that's a good example to compare with.

Going back to the earlier video where the Item Collection creation happens, it seems like making my own fixed the problem. I was trying to follow the demo video using the demo assets, models, and item collection, but that didn't seem to match. Making my own made the pick up show. Thank you for the help and suggestion!