UCC & UIS - Weapon Disappearing when rotating camera

LT.

I have an odd problem where the player's weapon and sometimes the hand holding it will disappear when rotating the third person camera.

invisweap.pnginvisweap2.png

The only fix has been to zoom out the camera by changing the Z Look Offset.

Things I've already checked tried:

- weapon mesh bounds - they are fine, tested on same weapon not being held by UCC & UIS character.
- near far clipping on camera
- layers

What could be causing this?

It really seems like a mesh bounds problem.

Did you tried to set "Update when offscreen" or put a bigger bounds on it? just to make sure that is not a mesh bounds problem?!

It seems to be a mesh bounds problem yes. It also only happens when the 3rd person camera Z offset is set higher than 1.

However it's a Mesh Renderer applying the material not a Skinned Mesh Renderer. So you can't select update while offscreen. I could select that for the right-hand glove however and that stopped the problem for that gameobject.

This is happening to multiple weapons from different artists. How do you put bigger bounds on a Mesh Renderer gameobject?

I've done some further testing. I edited the weapon and exported a version that has a bone, so it can have a skinned mesh renderer. I set up the new weapon in UCC and with "Update when Offscreen" ticked on it still makes the weapon disappear when rotating the camera.

I've tried manually adjusting the bounds to be the same size roughly as the weapon and it still does it. This appears to be an issue with UCC's camera.

So maybe is not a mesh bounds problem.

Did you checked the weapon material? Maybe is being replaced by the "invisible shadow caster material".

I have done further isolation testing:

Created a new Unity 2021.3.26f1 HDRP project.
Imported UCC + a different character model.

Before I even set up a weapon and just tested if the basic controller was working it is clipping the character itself. This is UCC in a clean project. I don't know what else I can do to isolate the issue, it's a new character, new project, the only consistent component is UCC itself.

uccclipping.png
uccclipping2.png

This appears to be a bug in UCC and HDRP. It can be re-producted by following these steps:

1. Create a brand new Unity 2021.3.26/27f1 HDRP Project.
  2. Add a character model to the project.
  3. Set up the character in UCC for 3rd Person Adventure.
  4. Adjust the camera Z offset so it's about 1.2 behind the player (similar to modern RPG follow cams).
  5. It will make the entire model disappear when rotating the camera at certain angles.
I tested the exact same conditions in URP and it worked without a problem.

For everyone else who experiences this. The cause was the Object Fader script on the Opsive Camera.

To fix, adjust values "Start Fade Distance" and "End Fade Distance" to lower so it stops trying to fade your character just because you have a standard RPG follow view set up (??????). In HDRP, the fade doesn't actually work, so that's why gameobjects disappear.

For us we have moved the project away from Opsive, this was the last straw in a month long struggle with this controller, and as you can see from this thread, support is infrequent at best.

I'm glad that you got it figured out. For the HDRP integration did you set the Color Property Name for the Object Fader? https://opsive.com/support/document.../integrations/high-definition-render-pipeline.

For us we have moved the project away from Opsive, this was the last straw in a month long struggle with this controller, and as you can see from this thread, support is infrequent at best.
We are able to respond once a day on the week days. The controller has a lot included in it and there is a learning curve but overall everything is setup really well and a lot of the edge cases have been worked out.