UCC 2.1.1 Demo Scene crashing in 2018.3.6f1

lynnpye

When I do the following:
- Create new empty project in Unity 2018.3.6f1
- Import UCC 2.1.1
- Open Demo scene

The editor begins to lag and will eventually crash, even if I do not attempt to play the scene.

Clicking on inspector elements causes a pause at times before the element expands. Selecting scene objects likewise involves a lag before the inspector updates to reflect the selection. I receive no errors during the import.

This is making it extremely difficult to inspect the demo to better understand how some parts fit together.

Could I get some help in troubleshooting this?

I am running on macOS Mojave (10.14.3), with a 2.6 GHz i7 and 16 GB RAM.

Not that I can tell. Unity freezes with a spinning pizza wheel, then I get the OS X Crash Reporter, where I get the crash dump.

Update: It's not the fault of the UCC Demo per se, but something in the Demo scene is exposing a problem with the Metal API and/or how it's being called by Unity. I have a workaround now, as described below.

If I go to 'Project Settings > Player > Other Settings' and turn off 'Metal Editor Support', 'Metal API Validation' and 'Metal Write-Only Backbuffer', I am able to open the scene and play it, however, it is using the OpenGL drivers which are far less performant, resulting in a measly 2-5 FPS.

Resetting those values, if I instead go to 'Unity > Preferences > General' and set 'Device To Use' to 'Intel HD Graphics 4000', which is the onboard video card used if you aren't using the discrete card (an 'NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M' in my case), then I am able to open and run the scene with no issues.

However, if I leave Metal enabled and set 'Device To Use' to the NVIDIA, I will eventually see my Unity session hung and then crash.

Thank you for your time, though.

And for what it's worth, now that my editor doesn't lock up any time I even sniff around your Demo scene, I'm looking forward to continuing to work with your toolkit. I picked it up more or less on the basis of the descriptions, reviews, and apparent level of support. Thus far it's been stable and capable and I see a lot of potential to enhance my game.