ThirdPersonObject

EmbeddedSoft

Hello

I am trying to setup new Character.
And so far so good. However I noticed one problem.
I am creating First person/Third person character and when I define "Third Person Objects" everything works well in first person perspective, however when I switch to third person all "Third Person Objects" will lose ability to fade if camera is too close. Interestingly enough this is not the case if I enable "Force visible" option.

Any ideas?

I am using unity 2018.4.16f1 on OSX - Catalina.

Regards

Ranko

Are the objects completely invisible when the camera is close? This sounds like it is related to the Object Fader:

If that's not it can you reproduce it within the demo scene so I can understand what you are referring to?

Hi Justin.
Thank you for your quick reply.
Demo scene works well, however in the demo scene I can reproduce the problem if I try to setup Nolan from scratch.
On the picture you can see Nolan from very close distance. At the time of the picture snapshot he should be transparent.

Second image shows new Nolan if "Force Visible" - option is enabled for First person perspective.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 7.54.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 7.54.20 PM.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 7.57.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 7.57.18 PM.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 4
Does the Object Fader properies look similar between the demo scene and the scene that you are using?

Slightly different. I tested with same param. Same result.

Ranko

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.08.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.08.05 AM.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.09.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.09.17 AM.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 6
Also I was trying to build Character on Widows version of Unity 2018.4.16f1. Same results. Only objets in character with "Force Visible" option enabled will have transparency in third person.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 12.05.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 12.05.26 PM.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    461.5 KB · Views: 3
Since some of the objects fade it looks like it's a shader issue. What if you use the same material that the demo scene uses? As long as the shader allows for fading then it should work.

Hey Justin.
Thank you for your reply - and that is very good assumption. However this is the first thing I checked. It is all the same - Standard unity shader. It is something else. Again keep in mind, this is happening only for Character objects with "ThirdPersonObject script". Something is buggy here with Latest unity 2018. Maybe at this time it would be a good idea to try. Just Download latest Unity 2018, create empty scene with one large obstacle and try to create Character (First+Third person setup). You will see what I mean right away. That is if I am not missing something but I was following your tutorial step by step. I have same results on Mac and PC with fresh-latest asset.

Cheers.

Ranko
EmbeddedSoft Canada

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 4.29.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 4.29.48 PM.png
    501.9 KB · Views: 1
Did you set the standard shader to fade? Also, did you try swapping out the material for one included in the demo scene? This will be a good test to determine if it's a material issue. I don't have a 2018.4 project on version 2.1 right now so it'll take me a bit to get everything imported and setup.

Edit: here's a scene where the character fades. I added the plane, scaled cube, and then created the character. I didn't adjust any properties after that:

Last edited:
Yes, I just tried that as well. I used material from demo scene. The one that is on Nolan. Same result. Secondly I switched standard shader to fade manually. Same result. Still does not want to fade :(

Cheers,

Ranko

I just uploaded a demo scene - go ahead and give that a try. Here's also a video:

Thank you for video Justin ! I appreciate this! But this is not what I am trying to do.
Now try making first+third (Both) person character as well + IMPORTANT: make head and hands third person object.
See if it fades then.

Cheers.

Ranko

Ahh.. I see what happened. Thanks for letting me know.

When you start in first person it replaced the arms with the invisible shadow castor hence the object fader didn't know about the arm materials. This is why forcing the arms visible fixed it for you. For a proper fix remove the following from within the start method of the PerspectiveMonitor:

Code:
            OnChangePerspectives(m_FirstPersonPerspective);

Bravo Justin!
Thank you for first class support! We will use Ultimate asset for our next project.
Maybe even rebuild EmFPS and replace outdated RealisticFPS.

I really appreciate your time and professional approach.
Great review from us is coming.
All the best!

Ranko Rodic
EmbeddedSoft Canada