ThirdPerson FollowPseudo3DPath Issues

I have been working on preventing the player character coming out of the X axis but somehow the enemies' melee weapons are pushing him out, despite both having a TPFP3DP ability, and a straight path assigned on z=0.

The way to replicate this is to have an AI character and a player character with a sword, and set the impact=0 for each and impact frames = 1, and impact state disable timer = 1, and damage amount = 40, and impact layer = subcharacter. The weapon has a max collision count = 20 and single tick = true. I am trying to make the character stay in path.

Sure. Both of my characters (player and AI) are rigged with Morph3D. Do you want me to include the reference files in the exported packet? Or do you want me to try to duplicate this with Nolan?

I have just prepared the scene by duplicating my original scene and deleting everything else in it, and all other irrelevant components on the player and the enemy.. and it appears that neither one leaves the x-axis in that case, regardless of how long they fight. So, something else may be interfering. I will need to go back and check each component one by one...

I suspect it might be the curvature on the probuilder surface, so I will start there.

Thank you for the pointers.

I have located the source of the problem after some rigorous testing, but could not find a solution. I hope you can see what is causing the issue.

The Pseudo3D Follow ability works fine throughout the scene. I took every possible culprit out, and tested again and it worked right every time. The only time it did not work is if I start the level from the beginning. There is a scene change happening mid-level. I use DSU's conversation to load the new level, which takes about a minute, and character comes back to the same exact point. And after he comes back to the same level, the Pseudo3D follow ability no longer works. It is still checked as active in locomotion script, the path is still there, and is assigned to the player, but even the root motion of the sword swing will take him out of the z=0 if you repeat it 10-20 times.

Why would scene changing break the pseudo3d ability? I tried to disable and enable the locomotion, and the ability, and neither worked.

One thing that does happen during scene change is that I use the Lua on DSU which looks like LoadScene(Player, Spawnlocation). The spawn location is also at z=0, and does not cause any problems during load. But the character temporarily loads at its Start Position (the very beginning of the level) instead of the Spawn Location designated in the DSU sequencer command, and then is teleported back to that spawn location. I am not sure if that command simply moves the existing character around, or deletes it and creates a duplicate. I am also using a UCC Saver, which is supposed to save the character's position. I used to not use the spawn location part of the command, and the character would still spawn at the last left location when the scene was loaded back from the previous level, but that started causing some glitches, and I started using the spawnlocation command.

Any idea what may be going wrong with loadscene, spawnpoints, or UCC Saver from DSU integration that could break pseudo3dpath?

Hey Anubis. I have somehow completely missed the existence of this ability. I was so focused on the FollowPsuedo3DPath ability, or maybe they were added at a later build.

It looks viable. I will give it a try and report what I come up with.

Thank you so very much.

Oops, sorry I missed this post:

Is your character persisted across each scene? The path is within the scene so if you are loading the character from another scene you'll need to make that reference after the scene loads. The Restrict Position ability will also work :)

The restrict position ability solved the problem at this time, since I do not really need the character to follow a curved path at this time, but just stay at z=0.

The player character has an instance in each of the two scenes, and each instance has the follow ability with the path in that scene assigned to him. For transition I am using DSU's LoadScene(Character, Spawn Point) lua function along with UCC saver component.

This issue seems the most relevant to my current problem (or misunderstanding) of using the `ThirdPersonFollowPseudo3DPath` ability.
  1. The image below showcases the bezier curve created via the `Path` component.
  2. I added it to my Psuedo3D character Movement Type
  3. I additionally have a `ThirdPersonPsuedo3D` View Type
  4. I added the `ThirdPersonFollowPseudo3DPath` ability set to "Automatic" for its Start Type
Capture.JPG

I was expecting my forward input (to the right is forward for my 2.5D side scroller) to cause the character to follow the path.
  1. What am I missing?
  2. Are there other approaches that come to mind for having a character temporarily follow a path?
    • For example consider the screen shot rotated 180deg as I intend to have the character "wrap around" corners regardless of angle (even upside down). Any suggestions of the best way to achieve this in the context of UCC would be great.
    • For added context, longer term I will dynamically position and enable the path and the `ThirdPersonFollowPseudo3DPath` ability only when at edges and other times I want as opposed to triggering automatically.

For this situation I would create a new ability that allows for the character to snap to the ground. The Align to Ground ability is similar, but it fires a raycast in the down direction and because of this it doesn't work with the 90 degree turn. The Follow 2.5D Path also is meant for following along the horizontal axis rather than the vertical axis.

Thank you for confirming the correct direction to move in and that the 2.5D Path approach wasn't going to work due to the vertical axis issue.