Swapped Nolan for a custom character in the demo scene, and pickups dont work.

dubayou

In the UltimateCharacterController\Demo

I was able to create a new humanoid character, and set the DemoManager to use this character. I can run and jump and its animated. But It cant seem to get pickups to work. Mainly the sword and the assult rifle in the beginning of the demo scene.

So i've watched all the videos, and still not sure what needs to be changed.

Yes it has the DemoItemCollection. I havent made any custom items.

After some more testing. I can pick up some items. like the sniper rifle/ rocket launcher. but not the other weapons in that room (is this a hitbox sizing thing?

it the upsairs melee room i can pick up the small knife, and the katana, but only the katana is equitable

well also i can equip the runtime katana, but none of the other weapons work.. when i created a new character i selected my humanoid prefab, and selected the same Nolan demo prefrabs

If you picked up an item, does it appear in the inventory? Also, do you have valid entries in the item set manager for all items? Otherwise you can't equip them.

New Character Settings

opsive-character-create.png

Some videos below

First pickup items do not pickup

shooter room -- can pickup the sniper and rocket but they are not equipped

melee room - only pickup that kinda works is the katana in here

interactions room - nothing seems to work

these all work with the default nolan character in the scene. This is a fresh import of thridperson controller and a fresh import of my character asset from daz

I can see in the first video the character does not have the runtime pickups added to the Inventory component. Add the runtime pickup prefabs there and you should be good to go.

I can see in the first video the character does not have the runtime pickups added to the Inventory component. Add the runtime pickup prefabs there and you should be good to go.

Lol sorry. thats the "agent nolan" in the inspector i was trying to look at the errors that happen when entering the melee room...even if i copy the working Nolan Inventory settings so it looks like this screenshot below. it just has it with a sniper rifle, but still pickups and interactions work as last post.

opsive-character-nolan-inventory.png

Ah sorry I was focusing on the settings, ok, now I can see that you have no Item Sets, compare the Item Set Manager to Nolans Item Set Manager.. Also for later as another option for your own games, you can set the pickup Item Sets on the pickup itself also.

I copyed the Item Set Manager setttings to match Nolan and its still the same results. and again also beyond items.. the other interactions like push button, open chest, open/go through door dont seem to work with my new character

The demo scene has a very specific setup using the Nolan model.. it wasn't really designed to be able to swap out with a new character due to the specific setup. With that said, in version 3 we have a new character template tool so you can easily copy all of the settings between the characters. For right now I would instead just get things working in your own scene.

Well good news and bad news.

I got it working! mostly all i think, i keep finding other bugs but im gonna do a write up to maybe help others, and suggest some stuff to be fixed in the version 3.