SkyCar bug

errorCSO

Hi Justin,
I need a quick solution to the SkyCar regarding these 2 problems. They existed in your Demo as well.

1, When pressed Space Bar to fully stop the vehicle. press forward or W key would only makes the front wheels spinning without the car moving at all. In order to move again, one has to reverse it (S key) then press forward again.

2, This one is a game breaking bug. In your Drive Demo, the ground is 100% flat. Maybe that is why you never notice it. If you have a slope. drive the car onto that mesh then exit. Because the car align to the slope, the character inherited the car's up axis on exit. the steeper the slope the more mess up the problem becomes. after a few enter and exit. player now can literally walk on walls.

I have tried to look into the Drive ability but don't see any option to resolve this. The Scripts on the car some closely tied to the Drive ability, at a glance I wasn't able to fix it on my end. I did try to reset but without success. I suspected adding a line in the SkyCar script may work;

/// The character has started to exit the vehicle.
public void ExitVehicle(UltimateCharacterController.Character.Abilities.Drive driveAbility)
{
??????
EnableDisableCar(false);
}

My need for vehicle is simple an basic. at the moment I don't wish to further adding another vehicle addon. Your help will be appreciated!

1, When pressed Space Bar to fully stop the vehicle. press forward or W key would only makes the front wheels spinning without the car moving at all. In order to move again, one has to reverse it (S key) then press forward again.
The SkyCar is from a Unity demo and I am not making any changes to it. For more advanced vehicle support you'll need one of the integrations.

2, This one is a game breaking bug. In your Drive Demo, the ground is 100% flat. Maybe that is why you never notice it. If you have a slope. drive the car onto that mesh then exit. Because the car align to the slope, the character inherited the car's up axis on exit. the steeper the slope the more mess up the problem becomes. after a few enter and exit. player now can literally walk on walls.
The controller will reorient the character to the ground when they exit. I've attached a screenshot showing my test where the character exits with a rotation at (0, 51, 0) while the sky car has a rotation of (-17, 0, 0).

1689858247045.png

Hi Justin,
You are right at first the character does seem to oriented perpendicular to the ground, but please keep driving on hamburger shaped hills and repeat exit/enter a few more times. You will notice gradually the horizon line will be tilted and it gets worse from there. Camera alignment as well as character's will go havoc quickly.

I see what you're saying. If you uncheck Precision Start on the vehicle's Move Towards location then it will not reset the up direction. I'll do the same in the demo scene.

Hi Justin,
uncheck Precision Start doesn't solve this problem. The bug exist as is in the latest version. Please keep teleport entry/exit a few times on a slope. On our game it became unplayable on uneven terrains. Its very obvious and can be reproduced in the demo. Can you make the player maintain the world up axis? I don't want to modify Opsive codes to fix this and being over written in every update.

Another thing about the teleport exit is, because the exist location is fixed and very inflexible, I can "wall hack" 100%. Move or roll the vehicle to a wall or cliff. then press exit, the player will end up inside the wall or fall into the back face of the world into the sky box. I used to be a developer on one of the vehicle heavy top AAA FPS franchise of the last few decades. The way their exit vehicle is not a fixed location, instead any suitable empty area around the vehicle. In a driving game where no player characters is simpler, but since here we integrate vehicle into an Opsive shooter framework. Reasonable uneven terrain and structures are factors we must dealt with.

I hope you can spare some time and love into this seemingly minor integration codes and make it more complete. Thanks!

I'm not able to reproduce it with precision start set to false. I entered and exited on different slopes about five times. Where in the demo scene are you exiting?

In terms of smarter exit locations I have made a note of it. I'm not sure when I will be able to add it though