Several Issues with UCC (and URP) (Unity 2021/2022)

RainerWahnsinn

After playing around for a month with UCC I still have some things that I cannot get to work.
  • Shader issues
Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture (type 4 count 1) Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_ST (type 2 count 1) Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_TexelSize (type 2 count 1) Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_HDR (type 2 count 1)
1691936147413.png
usually I just ignore them, but it fills up my console when I move my mouse around the scene view

• Atlas: shadows of the arms and weapons (like the assault rifle) are still visible in first person view, even with correct URP InvisibleShadowCaster material attached (screenshot below)

OK in Unity 2021 but not with 2022
  • Bullet shot decals showing transparent rectangle around it in Unity 2022. was fine in Unity 2021.UCC.png
fixed with Unity 2022
  • render texture on scopes (assault rifle) working fine in Unity 2022 but not showing in Unity 2021. I also recompiled shaders by building the game but no change.1691936800741.png
Fixed:
  • No VolumentricCone Material for URP for the Flashlight and Render Pipeline upgrade not working. Had to manually change to URP shader

Attachments

• 1691936793174.png
    1691936793174.png
    371.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Also I have noticed non-URP related issues as well.

some of them are:
  • Arrow doesn't move where I aim when using the Arrow in Third Person view in the Ride demo. It's fine in First Person View.
  • when using "Projectiles" instead of "Hitscan" on the Assault Rifle, the projectiles don't move where I actually aim. doesn't matter if 3rd or 1st person view
  • When using the Pistol in "Burst" Mode it doesn't do anything at all when press shoot

wasn't sure if I should create a new post for these

Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture (type 4 count 1) Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_ST (type 2 count 1) Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_TexelSize (type 2 count 1) Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_HDR (type 2 count 1)
I think that this is related to the blur shader included with the demo scene. It's specifically for demo purposes so you can delete that shader.

Atlas: shadows of the arms and weapons (like the assault rifle) are still visible in first person view, even with correct URP InvisibleShadowCaster material attached (screenshot below)
What version of URP are you using?

render texture on scopes (assault rifle) working fine in Unity 2022 but not showing in Unity 2021. I also recompiled shaders by building the game but no change.
That looks like a bug in 2021. The character controller doesn't have any logic on this side of things.

• Arrow doesn't move where I aim when using the Arrow in Third Person view. It's fine in First Person View.
  • when using "Projectiles" instead of "Hitscan" on the Assault Rifle, the projectiles don't move where I actually aim. doesn't matter if 3rd or 1st person view
These are related. In third person view you are projecting from a 2D plane (for the crosshairs) to a 3D scene. The projectile will go in the direction of the crosshairs, but depending on where the hit object is it may not be 100%. You can affect this by changing the spread/gravity amount of the object.

When using the Pistol in "Burst" Mode it doesn't do anything at all when press shoot
@Sangemdoko

I've just had a look at the demo scene.
The pistol burst works just fine. Perhaps it used to be broken a few versions ago?

Thanks. I was initially thinking that it was related to an update in the render pipeline but it's actually a lot more simple. Step 6 of the URP documentation has the step:

To prevent duplicate shadows ensure Cast Shadows is set to Off for all of the Renderers on the first person objects. For example, with the example character you’ll want to ensure Cast Shadows is set to Off for all of the objects underneath the Atlas/Atlas/FirstPersonObjects GameObject.

Thanks. I was initially thinking that it was related to an update in the render pipeline but it's actually a lot more simple. Step 6 of the URP documentation has the step:

alr will try that, thanks.
Update: I did this, it worked. 1 thing is finally fixed.
I think that this is related to the blur shader included with the demo scene. It's specifically for demo purposes so you can delete that shader.
I deleted the UIBlur shader and the errors are gone.

also still don't know how to fix the bullet decals

Also the next new problem already appeared... First Person View is completely broken now, Movement is buggy and all the body parts are clipping through the camera.
This gets even worse when my machine (laptop) is not on full performance. I alr noted FPS issues and other bugs in the demo scene.... the player / camera is shaking like crazy and almost clipping through everything. is the Asset rly frame rate independent? or does it only run well on good machine? cause it rly look like this is the case. sorry but the asset is unusable in the current state for me and I'm not sure anymore if I'm rly dumb enough to be able to get all those things messed up by myself like that.

also just uploading 2 clips to show that
1692090415012.png

1692090425056.png

Laptop plugged in:

Laptop not plugged in:

already did the usual steps:
* Unity restart
* reboot
* build
* new project created (like 10 times now already)

Last edited:
what is the reason UCC sets their layers on fixed slots?
1692095551220.png
it leads to issues and manual work as soon as I add any other asset to my project other than UCC

does UCC break if their layers aren't on 26-31? if yes, why'? if not, why are they hardcoded?

The locomotion is moved within FixedUpdate, and it is interpolated within Update. The speed is normalized though so it will move at the same rate no matter the frame rate.

It looks like the camera is falling behind the character. As a test can you set the Smooth Look Offset Steps on the First Person View Type to 0? This will move the camera with the character 1:1.

I just tried limiting the framerate to 5 in the demo scene and it worked. So we are on the same page if you do this within a built in render pipeline project does it work? Here's my test: https://streamable.com/27nvj4

also still don't know how to fix the bullet decals

For the bullet decals that looks like a shader issue. Ensure the shader that you are using supports transparency with the alpha channel.

does UCC break if their layers aren't on 26-31? if yes, why'? if not, why are they hardcoded?
You can adjust the layers. If you do so make sure you also adjust the LayerManager. The reason the LayerManager has hardcoded values is because lots of objects have static references to it for the default values. Each object has its own LayerMask though that you can also adjust. There's not a better way to initialize the default values than to have the static reference.

For the bullet decals that looks like a shader issue. Ensure the shader that you are using supports transparency with the alpha channel.
very first thing I checked. just using URP Lit. also it works fine without any issues in 2021 but not in 2022

very first thing I checked. just using URP Lit. also it works fine without any issues in 2021 but not in 2022
I would try posting this on the Unity forum. It looks like 2022 changed a lot and I'm not sure why that wouldn't work in URP. It doesn't look like it's related to the character controller logic since it's a standard shader.

alr the bullet decal issue was prob sth I or another asset did mess up.. at least I couldn't reproduce it yet in 2022.
so ig most of the issues here are fixed with the fix u mentioned in the other thread.

will take a look at the Pistol Burst Mode again since I still have this issue, not a big problem for me at this time.
also I noted some other small issues (and prob questions) that I need to double check again before posting them.

thanks for ur support, I rly appreciate that! getting started with it was hard for me cause of the issues but it starts to make fun again now since I digged in it and played around.

btw, I made some helper scripts for myself to automate some of the manual URP ugprade steps. will show u that at a later point ;)

Last edited:
now I created a new project with 2023 and they are back (URP)... funny thing: changing rotation on the bullet decal transform it gets either better or worse:
1692457709995.png

1692457718430.png
1692457728072.png