Several issues related to update(s)

Sekto007

Hello,

I am currently using both the First Person Character Controller and the Ultimate Inventory System. In addition to that I am using Rewired and with my existing project I am using the Rewired integration with the First Person Character Controller.

When upgrading to the two latest versions of both of these assets today, I am having several issues and I am wondering if these are bugs or just faults of my own. I am following the instructions exactly in the update instructions for both assets and each time they are breaking my input and my main character whom is Nolan at the moment.

There are several issues I'm having and I just wonder if it's due to a lack of instructions on how to upgrade an existing project that currently uses all of these assets together. It almost feels as if the way these updates were designed it was for projects that are starting a fresh project with the latest assets as opposed to supporting early adopters to the UIS like myself. Can you please provide instructions on the order of operations with upgrading ALL assets and integrations if I am updating from an existing project?

Before I start listing off specific errors and game breaking bugs that have been introduced by simply upgrading the assets - I'd like to just see if you can provide more detailed instructions on the upgrade process of existing projects that use all the assets and integrations together.

Thank you

You should completely remove the Opsive/UltimateCharacterController, Opsive/UltimateInventorySystem, and Opsive/Shared folders before updating. Make sure you do not have any of your own files within those directories.

From there you'll need to update the integrations. For the inventory system you'll need to perform the changes mentioned here: https://opsive.com/news/ultimate-inventory-system-1-1-5-released/

Okay, so the first time I went through the process (I've undone my changes trying to get this working 3 times already) I did this. One of the main issues when I followed this process as you have mentioned was my main character had a lot of functionality overwritten - i.e. he had third person animations suddenly and all his limbs were showing. My game doesn't even support third person - I am first person only. Why would I suddenly have those appearing?

I was just trying to do the standard melee attack in my scene and his first person arms were punching and so were his third person arms (which prior to the asset update were hidden along with his head).

So putting aside anything else, do you have any idea of what might be causing that behavior specifically? I'm sure if I spent a couple hours digging into it and debugging it I could trace back exactly why this is happening - but it seems more like a bug with the updated assets rather than the steps I'm following since they are exactly the same as what you have suggested above.

While waiting for a reply I'll try this again one more time to see if I reach the same outcome once again. Thanks for your help Justin, it's greatly appreciated.

Some items related to the view type did change. Are you able to reproduce the issue within the demo scene?

Another thing I should mention that might help you diagnose my issue is that I technically own both the Ultimate Character Controller AND the First Person Controller assets separately. While I have used the UCC in the past, with this specific project I am not using it and instead using the slimmed down First Person specific asset. I purchased those two from the Unity Store and the UIS asset from your Opsive specific store. I did the package update for the FPC from Unity Asset Store and downloaded the UIS update from my Opsive account.

If you only imported the First Person Controller that's all that matters. Are you able to repro the issue within the demo scene? Can you attach a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Some items related to the view type did change. Are you able to reproduce the issue within the demo scene?
I'm not using the demo scene in my project because I like to leave them in a virgin state and untouched in a separate project that contains nothing but your assets and the demo scenes so that I can compare them directly to my project. One of the big issues I have is that my project is using URP now instead of SRP and it's a pain in the you know what to keep having to set the demo scenes up for URP.

I might have to go ahead and setup the demo scene to use URP so I can run it and test it in this project with the current settings. Let me get back to you ASAP. I currently live in Southeast Asia so it's getting quite late for me. I'll test this out tomorrow and let you know what my results are.

Thanks

Hey Justin, thanks for your help on this issue. I just tried again with the latest update you put out within the last 24 hours and it seems that the issue has been resolved with my Norman character and having a third person configuration after upgrade even though one never existed before upgrade.

The other issue with my input not working was because of a silly mistake on my part with my Rewired mappings prefab being stored in the Opsive folder that I was deleting...

I will go ahead and close this issue out. Thanks!