Recommendations on scripting a clone abilities function?

frothy

I saw from another question 3 years ago that there's no way to copy abilities form one character to another without having to remap all the bones under the Movement section.

I have a couple dozen characters and just purchased the climb and agility add-ons, plus I'm making several custom interactions. Manually building those out is going to take days. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to more easily recreate all abilities from one character to another?

An ability has two parts: the code that's added under the ability section of the character locomotion component, and the animator states. But you don't have to do any remapping. The agility pack comes with an option to add the animator states via script on the locomotion component.

You can create a master character prefab, and then create prefab variants. This way you can have a shared base, that you don't have to redo for each character.

An ability has two parts: the code that's added under the ability section of the character locomotion component, and the animator states. But you don't have to do any remapping. The agility pack comes with an option to add the animator states via script on the locomotion component.

You can create a master character prefab, and then create prefab variants. This way you can have a shared base, that you don't have to redo for each character.

Another problem is that we allow characters to create a custom avatar at runtime using Ready Player Me. I've currently been going down the path of setting up the UCC character at runtime like the UMA addon does but your master character prefab is interesting.

I may try to create one single master character that everyone loads in with and then swap out the mesh based on if they have a Ready Player Me avatar or have selecte one of our dozen other character options.

For the UCC and PUN addon parts, would there be anything extra I needed to do once I've swapped the characters mesh other than reassigning the bones in the locomotion script?

If all the characters use the same rig, you only need to sync the assigned mesh across the network. This is how I do it, and it works perfectly fine. If you also swap the rig, most UCC components shouldn't be affected (maybe except foot effects), but only the animator. But using different rigs could also mean you need to have different items per character as the location of the visible items might be different.