Ragdoll is rigid when hit

chebz

I've setup default character from scratch with ragdoll enabled. However when character gets shot, it just falls over the same way regardless of where I shoot it.

What am I missing? I want it to properly react if I shoot it in the leg or arm and fall differently.

Unity's ragdoll system is extremely old and has not been updated in awhile. I don't know of a fix besides using your own ragdoll system

So I've noticed that in the Ragdoll ability, the force is being applied to all bones in the ragdoll. This would certainly explain why the ragdoll is always falling the exact same way regardless of where it's being hit. Instead I have modified it to only apply to the closest bone in the position provided, and it's a little better (though still very unsatisfactory!).

Pertraining to your suggestion about using custom ragdoll system - I've tried using Ragdoll Animator https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/ragdoll-animator-209616 - when it works, it looks beautiful. But I've had problems with getting it working properly with UCC, particularly I am running into this
1646084728139.png problem when using "Fixed Update" setting in UCC. When switching to normal Update, then it works fine. But Fixed Update gives me better melee weapon collisions (and probably better performance), so I want to use that.

p.s. not expecting you to have a solution for 3rd party addon, but if you have any ideas that would be awesome! Because I am basically stuck right now without a proper ragdoll system I can't really move forward with my project.

Unfortunately without using that ragdoll system I'm not sure of the cause. But as a starting point you could make sure that ragdoll solution supports fixed update.