Problems in the NEW ABILITY tuto in the doc

Yazou

I followed the tutorial and I have 2 problems: The position of the right foot is weird and public override void ApplyRotation() doesn't work in fps view. What can be done about it? That being said, I see that it has an addon that offers this ability ,this is probably the best and simplest solution.

Attachments

• Capture d'écran 2024-01-15 193833.png
    Capture d'écran 2024-01-15 193833.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 1
As a next step we recommend taking a look at the Ability API and existing abilities included within the controller , Where can i find the existing abilities ?
edit : I say for new users like me that you just have to write the name of the desired ability in the project search bar. Each ability has its own script, I thought I'd find them all in one script which is why I couldn't find it.

Last edited:
It looks like you need to use the state system to disable the CharacterIK component. ApplyRotation does work in first person - my guess is that you have some error in the logic of your new ability.

I set these Foot/Arm/Hand Weight to 0 because I couldn't figure out how to disable Character Ik with the State system. The animation was weird because of Avatar Definition:Create from This Model. By using Maximo's X Bot T-PoseAvatar the animation is done correctly.

To use the State system I just wrote Crawl in State, it works. Is this the right way to do it? How do I get Crawl to appear in the list of States? The "State System" video in the doc doesn't show this.

Attachments

• Capture d'écran 2024-01-16 162438.png
    Capture d'écran 2024-01-16 162438.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture d'écran 2024-01-16 163424.png
    Capture d'écran 2024-01-16 163424.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Weird Anim with Rig Create From This Model.png
    Weird Anim with Rig Create From This Model.png
    107 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture d'écran 2024-01-16 165033.png
    Capture d'écran 2024-01-16 165033.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 2
I currently have 2 scripts, one to move an object and another to open a door like phasmophobia but these scripts are on objects, each object has a script. Is it worth changing these scripts so that it's on the player and use the system ability?
I have to admit that when I have to create a new ability I don't know if I should use ability or item ability.
Taking as an example of pickup and drop abillity, for my script that moves an object I have to cut it in 2? a part ability to pick up the object and an itemAbility part to throw it or put it down?

Last edited:
To use the State system I just wrote Crawl in State, it works. Is this the right way to do it? How do I get Crawl to appear in the list of States? The "State System" video in the doc doesn't show this.
Yes, that's correct. The state names are based on a string value.

I currently have 2 scripts, one to move an object and another to open a door like phasmophobia but these scripts are on objects, each object has a script. Is it worth changing these scripts so that it's on the player and use the system ability?
If it's not on the character then those scripts would not be an ability for the character.