One handed weapon and IK issue

MarcinN

Hello,

I would like to use Character IK component for handling one handed pistol/colt. Our animator has prepared aiming animation with left/non dominant hand facing downwords. The issue is, that IK system is animating BOTH hands, so the result is incorrect (a specially when player looks down). How can i switch off IK for one hand? I tried switching off avatar mask for left arm for Upper body layer, but it didn't help. I tried playing with weight/parameters of Character IK controller, but again no luck.

I am attaching few screenshots to show the issue.

Regards,
Marcin

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-23 100705.PNG.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-09-23 100705.PNG.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2021-09-23 100818.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-09-23 100818.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2021-09-23 100853.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-09-23 100853.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 7
Looks like it could be a rigging issue. The animation's import settings are likely using a rig different than your character's avatar. You generally want to make sure that the avatars assigned to both your animator controller and the imported animations match your character model's imported rig. Check your imported animation file's rig settings (under the "Rig" tab of the base fbx's import settings) and make sure the "Source" avatar property is set to your character's avatar.

Hi,

Indeed, there is a different avatar on the character and in the import settings, but that's because the skeleton is a bit different. We have created a new character from scratch with exactly the same avatar, but the problem persists. All the animations work fine until IK is switched on. It appears as if IK is trying to keep the same relative position between both hands. That's why character looks relatively fine, when he looks up, but incorrectly looking down (left arm is going up, behind the back). If it would help, I can sens few more screenshots.

Thanks,
Marcin

The CharacterIK component only allows you to set the weights for both hands instead of a single hand. I can add this to my feature list but right now it'll take some modification within the CharacterIK component.