Matching ability movement to other objects

visiblenoise

I'm using root motion for a climb animation and was trying to use lerping to smoothly force the character into the correct starting position. This includes the XZ position, as well as the Y position for potential variance in obstacle height (since the root motion is authored for a specific object height). The plan was to allow the animation and root motion to begin immediately on button press, but also do this origin lerping over the initial fraction of a second additively, so that the root motion would naturally take it to the correct ending spot.

Is this an advisable approach? I'm actually rewriting some old code (before I purchased UCC), in which I was doing some start-position lerping, but also using Animator.MatchTarget() to ensure that the character ended up at the correct position by the end of the animation - but there doesn't seem to be a MatchTarget-type function in UCC. Should I thinking about things a different way?

Seems like a common problem, matching character positions to environments, but I couldn't find much on the topic - sorry if it's been asked. Thanks in advance!

Edit: also wondering if UCC is meant to allow for abilities to use Animator.deltaPosition to handle movement ourselves, without significant source code modification?