Issue with movement after V3 migration

DavidC

After V3 migration, the character started to move slowly. I suspected it might be the character's leg colliders + movement capsule collider getting stuck on the terrain. Looking at the character at run time, it seemed the capsule was too high up the character, like at knee height. I tried attempting to change the capsule collider offset, (NOT runtime) first a few small values, then ended with -10. None of them seemed to do anything once I entered in runtime (the capsule was still at the same height). I'm not sure if my assumptions about center offset are wrong, or if I'm doing something else wrong.

image.png

Are you using version 3.0.5? In that release it contains the fix which allows a non-zero center offset at edit time.

Are you using version 3.0.5? In that release it contains the fix which allows a non-zero center offset at edit time.
I wasn't, but I now am, and I'm still experiencing problems with the character moving slowly and related capsule weirdness.

1. Once I go to runtime that Y value changes to 0, but it does seem to apply. Maybe this is intended, but thought I'd mention it.
2. Character is still moving slowly, and capsule collider seems to be much above the Unity Terrain. Capsule seems to also seem to be slowly growing while also character slowly rises up Y axis. Like, Head transform is in the middle of her head and that's like 1.5 Cap height. In this, it's well over 2.0 now1673637774664.jpeg
3. I tried adding a transform for the top of her head and the bottom of her feet, so I could move them independent of bones (under Colliders, same level as capsule collider). This didn't fix the issue (and weirdly, seemed to make the collider much larger.. in built offset for head bone normally being in center of head?).
1673638114208.png
4. I tried adjusting this to make her feet rest on the ground, or for her to float, and neither fixed the walking slowly issue.
5. I tried turning off "character" layer interacting with itself, in case it had to do with Capsule and character's hitbox capsules, interacting with each other by being on the same layer.
6. I check the layer manager to make sure it was like it should be, and it was.
7. Terrain is on default layer, per usual.
8. Turning on root motion did speed her up from a snails pace to about 80% of expected, but she was clearly fighting *against* the physics.
9. Tried various other settings on/off like slope speed, ground friction from 10 reduced to 1.
10. During all of this, I noticed the radius of the capsule collider changed, too. It was originally 0.4 not .4252432...

Oh, I should mention, this project is in 2022.1.15f

So I do see in the demo that the rig is all layer "Subcharacter." This makes me think the migration manager doesn't update these layers.
However, I changed Atlas so all the layers on "Character" and it didn't cause Atlas to have issues.

The movement acceleration/deceleration values have been changed so you need to modify the values. This page has what values you need to multiply them by:

With that said, the capsule collider is doing some strange things. The Capsule Collider Positioner does not change the radius so I'm curious if you have something else that is affecting it. If you use the same character in a new scene does it build correctly with the character manager?

So I do see in the demo that the rig is all layer "Subcharacter." This makes me think the migration manager doesn't update these layers.
However, I changed Atlas so all the layers on "Character" and it didn't cause Atlas to have issues.
That's correct - the migration manager doesn't change any of the layers since the layer format didn't change between version 2 and 3.

The movement acceleration/deceleration values have been changed so you need to modify the values. This page has what values you need to multiply them by:

With that said, the capsule collider is doing some strange things. The Capsule Collider Positioner does not change the radius so I'm curious if you have something else that is affecting it. If you use the same character in a new scene does it build correctly with the character manager?

That's correct - the migration manager doesn't change any of the layers since the layer format didn't change between version 2 and 3.

Hi Justin,
I ended up just recreating the character, using the copy component function, which solved whatever the issue was.