If you own Final IK unity asset tool why would you want to use Ulimate Character Controller ?

dfernand

Just a newbie question.

Say, I already own Final IK and knew how to put constraints on a human rig and modify the rig programmatically; why would I want to buy Ultimate Character Controller
by Opsive for my 3rd person game ?

Would the only reason be that it's because Ultimate Character Controller integrates well with (the rather cool) tools such as Behaviour Tree and Ultimate Inventory Manager ?? or would there be 'other' reasons ??????

btw I am aware that Final IK and Ultimate Character Controller do integrate well due to support.

thanks in advance

The focus of the two assets are a bit different. FinalIK is provides a great inverse kinematics solution and includes a basic rigidbody character controller, while the Ultimate Character Controller (or Third Person Controller in your case) provides a great character controller and uses Unity's IK system by default. You also get things such as abilities and the item system. I recommend trying out the demo for the character controller - it does a good job of walking through the features:

thanks, I'm working through the tutorials right now. My predisposition (as you've probably guessed from my original post) is to use Final IK for manipulating the human rigs programmatically and also adding mocap data to them for animations and then somehow placing that onto an ultimate character controller for third person control to be used in conjunction with behaviour tree for basic NPC A.I. and also Ultimate Inventory Controller for weapons and item pickup coupled with some input tool that Ultimate Character Controller can interface with (maybe Rewired).

We'll see how it goes. cheers. It's going to be interesting for sure.