How to implement keyboard character press that drives ability

John Bourne

Hi Justin:

I'm new to the Ultimate Character Controller. I'm impressed with the details explained in the manual. I'm wondering if there is a tutorial somewhere that could step me through how to implement a keyboard button press to drive a particular ability (nice explanation in manual on how to add ability). What I'm trying to do is to press a particular key (e.g. "s") and have the character sit (using an animation from mixamo). Alternatively, it would be interesting to have the implementation be in Behavior Designer. In this latter case, I could simply move the character toward a chair and when the character is close to chair, activate the sit animation. Wonder if that would work?

Thanks,

John

For this approach I would create a new ability called Drive and use the ability system to move the character:

In this case I would leave Behavior Designer out of it - it would just add another layer of complexity. Just adding a note that in version 2.2 we will be included a drive ability in that update.

Thanks much, Justin! I had gone over the New Ability manual pages you provided - they are excellent, indeed. However, what I haven't been able to do is figure out how to put in a keyboard command that will activate the avatar crawling. Your example has the character activating a trigger when getting near the place to crawl under. I am wondering how to add pressing a keyboard button that would cause the character crawl (or my example, to sit on a chair). I will use the method you outline with proximity triggers for NPCs, but would like to have a keyboard control for the player avatar.

I'm liking the UCC very much. I added UMA yesterday and it worked perfectly with UCC...

Thanks,

John