How can I prep my character model for Opsive first person.

Joxev

Hello, I recently purchased the first person character controller asset and I have a couple of problems after creating the character controller. I followed the tutorial for the ultimate character controller, but only the scene setup and creating the first person character. The character model is clipping with the camera, and I know that there is a feature to hide certain objects in the character creator, but my character model's mesh is all in one object (attached file). I have seen other character models that have head and arms split. It is possible to split the fbx in blender to have multiple game objects? The hands are also animated weirdly (attached image). Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    125.5 KB · Views: 15
You will need to split up your model in order to separate out the arms object. If you have access to the source character you can use blender, or the FPS Mesh Tool on the Asset Store will also split the mesh. Take a look at this page on animating the arms:

How do I split them up correctly so they work with the first person animations? Also how do I put them into Opsive?

Take a look at the First Person Arms link for a deeper explanation, but because Unity can't retarget generic rigs you'll need to have your own animations for your arms. FPS Mesh Tool allows you to use humanoid animations for the arms, but you won't get the best results as you do if you have your own animations designed for the rig that you are using.

I'm not sure you understand, I am using the standard skeleton, I just don't know how to arms without FPS Mesh tool.

You will either need FPS Mesh Tool or use a tool like Blender to separate out the arms.

Look at this video.
He does this without relying on Fps mesh tool but you just don't get correct shadows. It is way better to do it with Fps mesh tool. If using Fps mesh tool in the arms part for the animator use the humanoid animator but if you are using an asset such as https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/props/weapons/animated-hands-with-weapons-pack-132915 it already has great animations and it does work with this controller but if you get https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/military-fps-hands-pack-127011 something like that pack you have to animate it yourself outside of unity such as Blender, Maya, Max but you also can purchase the pro version or get the free Umotion editor https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/umotion-community-animation-editor-95986 which you can do FPS animations all inside of unity (tip Pro uses IK). Hopefully, this clarifies people's questions.

Thank you, but if I bought FPS mesh tool and separated the hands, doesn't UFPS have first person hand animations? Also how could I put my hands into opsive?

The first person hand animations are generic so they do not transfer rigs. You can use the First Person Objects tutorial to add your own arms.

Hi I have similar issue. I have now separated my character hands with FPS mesh tool, but it seems that the hands are not reacting to any states. e.g. they are just there and they do not take aim state or whatever. Also it seems quite difficult to even lower them to the right place. They keep bouncing back up. So what to do?

I think that you should upload a new video about this topic since this is a dealbreaker. Without this it is impossible to use your product. I cannot use nolan. I think that existing videos do not cover this enough.

The FPS Mesh Tool created the integration so we've been using the integration video that he created. Have you seen that video?

You can adjust the arm position on the First Person Perspective Item component. With the FPS Mesh Tool the arms should use the humanoid (UFPSDemo) animator.

Hi, my issue was with animation controller. I put same animation controller to the arms that I am using the rest of the character. Now my issue is that I need a clever way to attach hands to the gun (or gun to the hands). Now I can put the hands close to the gun (and it might amost look acceptable) but hands are not yet griping the gun. Perhaps I can force join hands and the gun somehow?

Hey can you guys please tell me how to bring arms closer to the model both in scene view and game view so that it doesn't feel weird. I am using NOLAN model. I just bought the asset from the humble bundle and in learning phase . Screenshot (177).png

I am trying to change the arms and guns that come by default in ufps. I am using the arms rig that came with the asset mentioned below.

I am using assault rifle AKM. I have replaced it's animations in the animator controller for the gun i.e. assault rifle AKM animator controller.
I have also replaced the FirstPersonArms animator controller animations with the ones from the rig that I am using from the above mentioned asset.

1- Do i also need to change the animations in ufps demo animator controller? if so then animations of which layers should i replace?
2- The arms and guns are very far from nolan character and the guns and hands are itself very distant from each other. I tried changing the values of position offset in the first personperspective item script. But nothing... Any idea how to solve that?

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    360.8 KB · Views: 9
1. As long as your character's rig is still humanoid, then there's no real need to change any of the base character's animations - the Nolan ones should all work fine with your rig.
2. You may want to check that your first person arms, animator, and animations are all targeting the same Avatar - ideally you'd want them all to use the Avatar that your rig came with when you imported it. For the animator, you can set this directly on the Animator component; for the animations, you can set it in the "Rig" tab of the animation's import settings ("Copy From Other Avatar" --> select your imported rig's avatar for "Source").

Okay So i have set up the gun as shown in the attached image. But now i am unable to fire/animate because i didn't set its animator id when i was setting up the item inside the item manager. But i set the animator controller to be the one that came with the assault rifle.
1- Do i need to make my own animator controller? because the developer has sent me animator controller (assault rifle) as well as the animations
The animations he sent me are:
select
put away
run
idle
move
automatic fire loop
reload
empty reload
dryfire
melee attack
zoom
zoom idle
zoom move
zoom automatic fire loop
grenade throw
crouch
zoom crouch
jump

2- Why can't i use his animator? if i want to integrate the animator controller(the one he sent) with ufps animator?
3- Which animations i need to replace in ufps animator with the ones that the developer has sent me?

Screenshot (7).png

You may want to check that your first person arms, animator, and animations are all targeting the same Avatar - ideally you'd want them all to use the Avatar that your rig came with when you imported it. For the animator, you can set this directly on the Animator component; for the animations, you can set it in the "Rig" tab of the animation's import settings ("Copy From Other Avatar" --> select your imported rig's avatar for "Source").
Yes all the avatars you mentioned are same. That's why i was able to set up the arms in the desired posture.

I would recommend checking out the animator docs: https://opsive.com/support/document...oller/animation/animator/animator-controller/ The video linked on that page is also a useful explanation of the various animator parameters. It sounds like you're fairly new to animation in Unity, so I'd also recommend looking up Unity's docs on animator controllers to learn about parameters and transitions.

The animator included in the demo is just an example of how to setup an animator controller using the various animator parameters that the controller expects. There's no reason you can't use a completely different animator controller (e.g. the one you've imported), but you'll need to add the required animator parameters (described in the video on the docs page I linked) and setup all the various transitions to respond to those parameters. For a very basic example, the "ForwardMovement" animator parameter is set by the controller to the value of the user's forward/back movement input, so any animations depending on forward/back movement would need to use transitions based on those values (or more likely a blend tree).