Framerate in 2.4.1, mouse / character jittering problems

Sarr

Hi,

I've mentioned the problem with low fps, jittering and mouse sensitivity in Announcements section for new patch. The issues are still present, so posting here. Couldn't manage to fix it in my project so I've now created completely fresh one, added only UFPS and launched demo scene without any customization.
Firstly, errors show, so I've updated Buttons and Layers through Character Manager. That fixed them, so I've pressed play.

The issues are basically the same as in my custom project. Here's what's happening:
1. Mouse sensitivity is about 10x normal speed.
2. After stopping play mode, in Nolan's Unity Input I've changed Smoothed to Raw to test it out.
3. The movement was extremely laggy and slow, so I've checked also Unity Smoothed - it was jittery as well.
4. So I've set Smoothed again and changed sensitivity from 2 to 0.3.
5. Movement speed was slower but still weird (it's not natural, but probably that's not where I should set mouse sensitivity?). Probably not consistent in speed in different directions or position of the character in the scene. Check out the video:

1634032926017.png

And I think that the only reason that mouse movement seems now fluid (in Smoothed mode) compared to jittering in Raw and Unity Smoothed is the smoothing algorithm. I mean, in my opinion the jittering is still present underneath.

In 2.3.6 there was no such apparent issue. I had to set the default Nolan character controller into Update mode though even in 2.3.6, Fixed Update was extremely jittery - even more than in the first video (2.4.1, Update mode with Input on Raw / Unity Smoothed). So I think something got wrong with the new version.

Last edited:
The default values for the PlayerInput now have a Look Sensitivity Multiplier of 1 - have you tried changing that? I've found this value works well for a FixedUpdate interval.

For the arms try changing the ItemHandler.FixedUpdate to Update and getting the smoothed position:

Code:
        /// <summary>
        /// Moves the item in each slot.
        /// </summary>
        private void Update()
        {
            var lookVector = m_PlayerInput.GetLookVector(true);

Do you have vsync on?

The default values for the PlayerInput now have a Look Sensitivity Multiplier of 1 - have you tried changing that? I've found this value works well for a FixedUpdate interval.

For the arms try changing the ItemHandler.FixedUpdate to Update and getting the smoothed position:

Code:
        /// <summary>
        /// Moves the item in each slot.
        /// </summary>
        private void Update()
        {
            var lookVector = m_PlayerInput.GetLookVector(true);

Do you have vsync on?
Yes, sync every V blank. Ok, so I've tested more. Noticed the Look Sensitivity Multiplier was set to 10 by default in demo scene, changed it to 1 and was still too fast - 0.5 was quite ok. But it didn't fix the jittering / slowdowns.

1634040843426.png

For now good I still have 2.3.6 package still saved in my project, gonna test if it still works quite well, gotta continue developing. If you'd have any more ideas of what I'd could check or change, I'll do it for you, keeping this test 2.4.1 project ready.

Attachments

• 1634040270288.png
    1634040270288.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I have an idea of the cause due to the spring update rate. I'll send you a PM with some files to try.