Floating main menu

pleska

I want to create a floating main menu kind of like some other RPGs or MMOs do where all the panels it opens are floating and not nested like the current UIS main menu design does. Here is an example of one from FF14 online.

1614545602730.png

I was thinking of trying to do this with and Item Hotbar Panel with some different type of slot that was just a button but now I am thinking maybe I don't need to use any of the UIS base classes. What I am worried about is that the Main menu has some important canvas management or key processing feature that I don't know about.

What would others do to make a button bar that could be put on the screen as their menu, possibly with a menu type UI that pops out on some of the buttons eventually. I get how these can open and close the UIS panels but I am not sure which direction is best since all the main menu examples are more Zelda like with a nested full screen menu with sub panels vs. more of a desktop RPG/MMO one where the main menu is just a button bar positioned by the HUD layout.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

UIS focuses greatly on Inventory systems which includes UI related system, but it isn't a full fledged UI system framework.

If you wish to have the most control I would recommend you create your own panel system which can interact with the UIS panel system or, uses the ItemViewSlotContainers directly.

For the Array of Buttons I believe I have a component for that in the RPG schema. It is called: "Buttons Open Panel". You could use that component or inspire yourself from it to create your array of buttons that open floating panels.

You can open a new scene and setup a UI using the RPG schema to see how it works.

From there you may decide if you wish to use our panel system, a custom one, or both