Floating Arms Problem

ThatOtherGuy

Alright so I have the Ultimate First Person Controller was just trying to get my first weapon to show up and it looks all fine and dandy in the scene view port, but when I got to test everything goes according to plane except that the gun is floating in the air with the FPS arms. I followed the tuts on this, checked the error logs and such but I have no idea what is going on with this problem. Any ideas? Image attached below.Floating_Arms Problem.jpg

The pivot/origin of your fps arms are likely not a match to the demo arms, within the presets you can adjust the values to suit. You can do this at runtime also and click the persist preset button to lock in changes(if the preset contains the property modified).

I checked the Pivot point and adjusted it, but every time I hit playtest the arms realign back to over head, not even syncing up with current animations. Also all pivot points are 0,0,0 and they move position without adjusting those values.

And did you adjust the pivot within the model, or just move the model in unity? The pivot needs to be adjusted in your modelling program. The state presets will move them, and they can be used to get the arms in correct position also.

The pivot is the same as the main character model. I used the FPSMesh tool to produce arms like in the tutorial. There are also no animated keys on the arms as well.

Using FPSMesh tool does exactly what I am trying to explain. Your pivot for the arms is most certainly different then. You have a set of arms at human height. The included first person arms at at the feet when zeroed out because of the pivot location. Your arms will be same height as your character, therefore they will offset by that much.

Okay I get what your saying, but upon further investigating on what my scene looks during realtime play, I noticed the First Person Object (which the arms are located), gets grouped under the camera, which is positioned where the head is. Is that normal for this?

It is normal for the First Person objects to be grouped under the camera, but the camera should not be a child of the head. The camera should have no parents.

Yes the first person camera is child of main camera, and the arms are parented to it at runtime. That is normal behavior.
Now once again the demo presets are designed for the demo arms, which have a different pivot point(centred to mass of arms).
You can try replicate this origin in blender, by importing the model into blender, selecting affect origin only, and moving it up, then zero out the model(after unchecking affect origin only), apply transform and export to unity. which I do recommend as even though you will still need to adjust presets or make your own, this will get you much closer to begin tuning.
Verse yourself with how presets are used, they are a vital part of the UCC system and as painful as it may seem(at first) to setup your own character, the presets and state system is a HUGE part of what make UCC so ever capable. Once you get your head around the states and presets you will love it, and take off with flying colours. You'll then also find once you have setup character state profile or any state profile, you can add it to the list of ready to go presets in the StateConfiguration asset for later use, saving the need to redo this for each character.
To clear up why the camera is at head position and arms are what need tuning, is the fact that if the camera was higher or not at head height, then when playing in fps view you would sure notice it, and it would not feel right(human like) at all.

Alright I get what your saying and thanks! First off the camera is not parented to the head, it's been adjusted via scripts provided, I was just noticing that happening during playtime and was wondering if it was normal. Second is the arms reposition: I can easily do that in Maya, it's just where I need to position them is the problem. I've imported the Nolan arms, does that mean I needs to be exactly where his origin point is? Or is their an exact value that is universal (like -2 units) that would work? I mean I can do the old fashion way of importing, testing, adjusting, importing again ect ect.