First person view with full body awareness (without first person arms object) ?

discofever

I've recently posted a video on Discord regarding my issues trying to make my character equip an Axe (
).
I'm running into so many issues; i was wondering if in fact i was on the right path.

My goal is to make a view just like in firewatch where you have fully body awareness (when camera moves down we see both hands and legs) and use the same 'perspective?' to equip axe, fishing rod, walkie talkie and be able to use axe to interact with a tree by 'move towards' and initiating the 'attack/interaction'.

Is this even 'possible' ? Or does UCC require to have both arms and body separated for first perspective to work.

I would love to have a detailed plan on how to achieve this,

Thanks !

I have seen some people using a third person setup with a first person camera. The problem with this is that your arms are then in the wrong location for a normal first person setup. If you want to use humanoid animations in a first person perspective you can use the FPS Mesh Tool integration. This page has more info:

This is exactly what i am using (in the video). No matter what even with FPS Mesh Tool, the 'arms' are not at origin but way up high and rotated. But then, i'd have to have a 'body' item when character is empty handed ?

But then, i'd have to have a 'body' item when character is empty handed ?
The body item is the correct route for that situation. Alternatively you could create a new animator and change the idle animations when there are no items but there aren't any drawbacks to always having the body item equipped.

Hi @Justin,

After all my efforts and watching your videos; i'm unable to make this work.

How come you magically align hands with body ? It's not a matter of a simple offset, it's much more than that having rotation implicated as well. In your FPSMeshTool tutorial you don't move the character and look around, this it may not be working using Humanoid rigs.

No matter what i can't align the arms with the body.

Would it be possible for you to make a quick video or just an explanation step by step ?

I wonder if what i'm trying to achieve is just not possible with UCC...

Here's what I get so far :

How come you magically align hands with body ?
With a first person perspective the hands are parented to the camera, not the body. This is the standard setup for first person games.

With the FPS Mesh Tool it will parent the arms to the camera as well. If you don't want to use separate first person arms at all you can not specify the arms when creating your character as a first person character. When you are creating your items you then would only specify the third person objects. Essentially you would only be using the first person camera.

1703146189641.png