First person arms animations - wep + arms, wep only considerations

goigle

I am trying to wrap my head around how the animations for UFPS / Unity work.
In Source, there's different view and world models. The view models contain higher quality weapon visuals and the armature for the first person arms. Garry's Mod also has C models which has that armature but without visual details so depending on a player's model the arms can change.

My understanding is UFPS has separate arms and weapon armatures. I.e. with Nolan, his arms have different animations and a different controller than the assault rifle. I noticed when the assault rifle reloads, it uses a clip in the left hand instead of the actual clip on the rifle and that the rifles doesn't actually have a reload animation. This method seems to prevent things such as using a charging handle or pulling back on a slide. If I wanted features like that, would it make more sense to include armature with the weapon and then attach the player arms to that?

The item animator uses the same animator parameters as the character/arms so you should be able to use the Item Set Index to add a specific reload animation. This allows you the flexibility of either having the item separate or having it included with the arms. Take a look at this video for more details on how the animator works: