Fall ability always active

borealysgames

Hello,

I have a problem adding new abilities for the Third Person Controller because the Fall ability is always active. My character is idle and directly on a floor.

At first, I thought this was because of the character's idle animation moving its feet upwards, so I enabled IKs for the animations and fixed that issue. However, this solution didn't fix the Fall ability problem.

I asked on Opsive's Discord if someone had an idea why the Fall ability was broken and someone pointed me to the Min Fall Height attribute, which was set to 0.2 on my character. I iteratively incremented that value until the Fall ability stopped being active. However, doing so completely broke the movements of my character.

So here I am, asking on the forum why might the Fall ability always be activated.

Problem.png
Problem.png

So, your Fall Ability looks exactly the same in the Inspector as mine that works properly, so the problem ain't in how you set up the ability.

The first thought I have is that there's a problem with the character collider, but that's just an initial reaction to the falling, it doesn;t look wrong from the pic. What's he standing on, a plane or a terrian?

Is this a new character that you just made, or is this a custom-built character and this Ability didn;t work when adding it? I'm of the idea that this' normally added by default and should work right out the box.

I think the order of the Abilities has some effect, I wonder if it wouldn;t be worth reorganizing the Abilities so Move Toward was above it, then Jump, then Fall, here's the order I have:

1591669110462.png

Might also be worth checking out the States at the bottom of the UltimateCharacterLocomotion script (not the State foldout @ the bottom of the Ability) to make sure it's not being activated there:

1591669371963.png

Last edited:
SteveC made some good suggestions: you need to pin down the source of this issue a bit more directly. There are some steps you can take for this, such as comparing your setup with the demo scene (i.e. the character controller and its abilities/states, IK, etc). Ability order in the list is also very important, as SteveC mentioned. But generally speaking, a good approach is to start with the demo scene and try reproducing your issue one step at a time to pin down its source.

So, your Fall Ability looks exactly the same in the Inspector as mine that works properly, so the problem ain't in how you set up the ability.

The first thought I have is that there's a problem with the character collider, but that's just an initial reaction to the falling, it doesn;t look wrong from the pic. What's he standing on, a plane or a terrian?

Is this a new character that you just made, or is this a custom-built character and this Ability didn;t work when adding it? I'm of the idea that this' normally added by default and should work right out the box.

I think the order of the Abilities has some effect, I wonder if it wouldn;t be worth reorganizing the Abilities so Move Toward was above it, then Jump, then Fall, here's the order I have:

View attachment 3159

Might also be worth checking out the States at the bottom of the UltimateCharacterLocomotion script (not the State foldout @ the bottom of the Ability) to make sure it's not being activated there:

View attachment 3160

The character is stand on a procedurally generated dungeon floor. It's a cube.

It's a new character from a few weeks ago. I removed some useless stuff, or what I thought was useless, so maybe I broke something. I'll try creating a new one and check the differences.

By the way, for the abilities, those are the one that came with Opsive's character creation tool.

I tweaked the states but they're not even used.

Thanks for the info. I'll work on it and come back unless we have to priorise other tasks.