Dual wield of weapon and non weapon issues...best approach?

DankP3

So i made an item inherited from ItemAction and put in slot1 I have started to add a handgun to slot0 and this gif summarises the problems i am noticing:

1. If i have two items and allow dual wield, then i need a minimum of 3 inventory slots, one for each single wield and one for the dual wield. Is this correct? So a player will want button 1 for torch and 2 for gun and will not want button 3 for both, so is the only way to do this with my own custom bridging scripts?

2. The recoil and hand and arm IK seems to be both arms and is not obviously separable. The dual wielding seems to assume the same weapons fired at the same time? and hence this results in my torch having a recoil and being pulled out of position by the aiming IK. I would have thought that a request that hand and arm IK and springs are separated would have wide appeal - is there a way to do this?

Alternatively, I will need another solution, which could be my own recoil, or animated recoils...

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with these issues? I thought I would ask before digging too deep, thanks.

Apologies if this is seen as more than one issue, but i think they are fundamentally related?

1. If i have two items and allow dual wield, then i need a minimum of 3 inventory slots, one for each single wield and one for the dual wield. Is this correct? So a player will want button 1 for torch and 2 for gun and will not want button 3 for both, so is the only way to do this with my own custom bridging scripts?
No - you still only need two slots. In the dual wield pistol example the right pistol is in slot 0 and the left pistol is in slot 1.

2. The recoil and hand and arm IK seems to be both arms and is not obviously separable. The dual wielding seems to assume the same weapons fired at the same time? and hence this results in my torch having a recoil and being pulled out of position by the aiming IK. I would have thought that a request that hand and arm IK and springs are separated would have wide appeal - is there a way to do this?
I just checked the demo scene and when dual wielding pistols in third person mode the recoil is added to each item even though you only fire it from one. I'll get that fixed.

Thankyou, to be clear on point 1, I was talking about the Item set manager and I meant item sets not slots, sorry. On Nolan looks like this (below), I assume if I wanted to equip only the left pistol, I would need another third Item Set. Hence with a flashlight and gun, I need 3 item slots, but a player would expect 2 buttons, so I just need to rig it every possible item set combo as a separate set with additional sets for all the single items. Do I understand correct, e.g flashlight alone, flashlight and knife, flashlight and gun etc....

On point 2, thanks. Will the correction you make also stop the IK on the second item. In the example shown in the first post, I have the CharacterIK aiming the pistol, but also the torch (which pulls it out of the position it should be in). It think it would be useful if there were separate hand and arm weights for each side of the body?

I was talking about the Item set manager and I meant item sets not slots, sorry. On Nolan looks like this (below), I assume if I wanted to equip only the left pistol, I would need another third Item Set. Hence with a flashlight and gun, I need 3 item slots, but a player would expect 2 buttons, so I just need to rig it every possible item set combo as a separate set with additional sets for all the single items. Do I understand correct, e.g flashlight alone, flashlight and knife, flashlight and gun etc....
Having one combination is one method, or if the flashlight always stays in the same slot and nothing else then you can create a new category so you don't need to worry about all of the different combinations. This is similar to how the secondary grenade can be thrown at any time.

On point 2, thanks. Will the correction you make also stop the IK on the second item. In the example shown in the first post, I have the CharacterIK aiming the pistol, but also the torch (which pulls it out of the position it should be in). It think it would be useful if there were separate hand and arm weights for each side of the body?
Yes, I plan on doing a left and right hand spring for ik.