Disambiguating Conditionals

daphii

Hello!

As I find myself trying to design trees, I'm having a hard time deciding on which conditionals to use. Conditional Tasks, Evaluators, and Aborts all seem like they could in theory solve my case, but how to decide which is the best to go with for tree flow? I've read through the docs regarding all three, but maybe I need more examples for it to really click. I feel like I only vaguely know which the operation of each (still very new to BD) but I feel like I'm close to it clicking, but I need additional info!

What are your favorite use cases for each? how do you find they change the way you approach tree design?

Thanks for your time!

My general strategy is to use conditional aborts as much as possible. When there's something very specific that I want to abort I then use the Interrupt/Perform Interruption task. Personally I never use the Conditional Evaluator decorator.

If you're looking for more of a fully-fledged tree I recommend taking a look at the Deathmatch AI Kit. It's useful even if you are not using our character controller. In that tree I only use conditional aborts: