Custom Arms for First Person Controller

Hello, I am trying to use arms/weapons from another asset with the First Person Controller but when I add the arms model to the character, they end up floating above the player's head. When the game is not running they appear near the feet. See screenshots for more info.

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 10.53.55 PM.png (Game not running, arms near feet)

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 10.53.18 PM.png (Game running, arms in the air)

The position of the arms is defined per item in the First Person Perspective Item component. So you have to equip the corresponding item, and then you can adjust the position. If you have no items equipped, the arms are moved out of view by default.

Thank you for the quick reply. In this case I had an assault rifle equipped. I was able to resolve this by modifying the transform of a "lower" GameObject under the First Person Perspective Item. Still not sure why adjusting the parent wouldn't adjust the children, but at least the position is correct now.

For some reason the assault rifle won't fire. I've set it up via the "Shootable Weapon Setup" video, and had this working before I swapped out the arms. I know that agents won't fire their weapon unless it's facing forward, but does this also apply to player characters? Is there anything else you recommend checking?

The demo assault rifle uses animation events for use. You might need to add the corresponding events to your arm animations, or you switch to the time-based use method.

@ChristianWiele I really appreciate your willingness to jump in so quickly. I've confirmed the issue was stemming from the positioning of the arms. To be honest I don't fully grasp which items in the "arms" hierarchy I should be using to modify the transform, but through trial and error I've figured it out.

I also set the arm object's animation controller to the one that came with the asset, and the arms automatically went into a tactical grip on the assault rifle which was nice. However, reload (and I'm sure other) animations are not working. I'm not super familiar with animation controllers, but is there a quick way to remap the reload animation that came with these arms so that it's triggered by the character manager?

First person arms use a generic rig, and Unity's generic rig does not allow to retarget onto generic rigs. So, you have to create your own animations for the arms, and can't reuse existing ones.

Hm, I may have not explained part of the setup clearly. The asset pack I'm using includes models for the arms and weapon. It also includes animations for each (they're part of the pack, not coming from another source - wasn't sure if that was a point of confusion when you mentioned "existing ones" in your post). The crux of my question is: how can these existing animations be leveraged in the context of Opsive's character controller?

Check the demo animator controller, especially the transition parameters. You can either replace the animations in the demo, or build your own animator controller.