Creating a character problem

DStecks

Hi, I'm really new to UCC and this is the first project I'm using it on. When I first tried it out, creating a character not based on any model, it worked fine, no issues.

But I do want there to be a model for the player character, and I'm trying to use a model I've made derived from a Unity Store asset. It's fully rigged, marked as a Humanoid in its settings, the bones are all in the right place as far as Unity is concerned. But when I select it as the model for my character, then run the scene, the capsule collider shrinks for no apparent reason, to the point that only the model's head sticks out of the ground:

I don't have the first clue what I'm doing wrong. The Capsule Collider Controller is set to use the right things for cap points, the feet and head transforms are in the right place. It also seems like it thinks it's falling, jumping doesn't work.

The avatar and animation controllers are both the default Unity empty file, I haven't imported anything over from Nolan in the demo. I suspect this might be part of the issue, but I've had UCC for less than a week, I do not know. I'm currently importing the demo to try to use Nolan's animation data to see if that fixes it, but it's going to take a while.

The only moment it happened to me was when i tried to setup a character controller for an enemy, i had the exact same issue and figured out that on the character prefab, there was the character's weapon attached with the character containing it's own skeleton and that weapon wasn't even near the position of the character. Don't you have something similar ?

Couldn't find anything like you're describing.

So, I imported the demo scene, and changed nothing but using the Nolan avatar instead of the default one. The capsule collider no longer shrinks, but the character only T-poses and I literally have no idea if that's the expected behaviour, but I am now reasonably sure that the issue is with my model's avatar.

I'm pretty new concerning Opsive systems but i just want to help :D Well, if your capsule collider is now fixed, about the constant T-pose try to check out the Character Locomotion component on your newly created character. Does it contain the same abilities than the Character Locomotion component of Nolan in the demo scene ? And what animator are you using ?

So. I just watched Opsive's video for creating a character, and they showed to use the animator controller called "Demo". So I did that. My custom model is now fully animated (with Nolan's animations), and the collider acts correctly.

So technically at this point my problem is solved, but I'm not exactly happy that I don't know what it was that was causing the error in the first place, and am not sure what I should do in the future when I'll want to use bespoke animations, whether on this project or another.

You can use any animator or animations you want. Your custom animator just needs to have the same events and transitions conditions than the ones in the demo, since the system will search for theses to choose which animation it shall call on your character :)

The capsule collider is shrinking because it is trying to follow the character's animations. You'll want to ensure that you import all of the demo assets especially when you're just getting started. From your screenshot it looks like you are using an animator controller that didn't contain any animations.

Thanks for helping @RaeJjin0 :)

Your custom animator just needs to have the same events and transitions conditions than the ones in the demo,
Your new animator just needs to have the same parameters - once you understand the flow of how the asset works I highly recommend that you start with a blank animator and add to it from there. This page has more info but the demo animator controller is extremely complex and you likely won't need everything that it contains for your game.

Hi everyone, I'm trying to create a new character and I have a similar problem, it says that my character avatar needs to be humanoid and that it needs a head bone, so I'm trying to figure this out, I'm working with Character Creator 3. I'm thinking of using iClone7 to rig the body, if anyone has used this workflow please let me know.

@EMM I use Character Creator 3 and it is the model I am using for the project I am working on. I watched a couple of videos from Reallusion that helped me. Listed below.

One key thing with CC3 characters, if you need to adjust the scale, do it within CC3. I tried taking it into Blender and doing it, and it caused all kinds of havoc with the collider, etc.

Another helpful video was the following.

Hope this helps.

Walter

@EMM I use Character Creator 3 and it is the model I am using for the project I am working on. I watched a couple of videos from Reallusion that helped me. Listed below.

One key thing with CC3 characters, if you need to adjust the scale, do it within CC3. I tried taking it into Blender and doing it, and it caused all kinds of havoc with the collider, etc.

Another helpful video was the following.

Hope this helps.

Walter

Walter thanks a lot for your time, I have watched those videos too indeed and have managed to add my character, now I just need to fix the camera thing.

How do you adjust scale within CC3?

Walter thanks a lot for your time, I have watched those videos too indeed and have managed to add my character, now I just need to fix the camera thing.

How do you adjust scale within CC3?

EMM,

Under the full body morph there is a character scale slider. It maxes out at 255cm. But if you bake that morph, you can scale it larger if you so chose. See the screenshot below.

CC3_Scale.JPG