Character Trouble Going Up Ramp

Coconut Mage

Hello Opsive, as mentioned in the title the character can't go up ramps correctly. I've tried adjusting the slope limit, the max step height, the character collider size. I tried changing the ramp colliders to simple box colliders, and both convex and non-convex mesh colliders, but nothing. Whenever the player tries to move up any ramp the movement is slow and shaky, almost as if he's getting caught trying to go up. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

On the Ultimate Character Controller component there is a Motor Slope Force Up/Down variable which allows you to tweak the speed based on teh slope.

I have a similar issue as described above. Normally, when walking up a slope (terrain or 3D object), the walking animation has always been very smooth in my game. Now, all of a sudden, it's very choppy and I don't know why. I created the video below to show the difference. I've actually not made any significant changes to the character itself, and also, it's happening across all my scenes. Every scene has its own character, so it's either something that I did in every scene, or it's a global issue. I recovered an earlier version of the game to verify it's a problem that previously didn't exist and used it to produce the first half of my video below.

I've already tried changing the Motor Slope Force Up, but given that I never changed that value in the first place, it wouldn't make sense to change this value now, the problem must come from somewhere else. I tried changing this factor anyway, which reduced the choppy effect a bit (not fully back to normal though), however, at the same time it caused my player to run up slopes much faster than when walking horizontally or walking down a slope, which is not realistic, hence I prefer to find the actual problem that causes this effect.

So I wonder if anyone has experienced this before and has advice on how I can revert this effect. Thank you so much

Video: 00:00 to 00:27 - Before the effect appeared, 00:27 to 01:10 - Since the effect appeared

For that the best place to start is to profile your game. It looks like something is causing a bottleneck and thus reducing your framerate.

Hi Justin thanks so much for your answer. I found out what the issue was. The choppyness was not in the sense of framerate, but more in the sense of the character flickering. My framerate was fine between 30-50 fps, but even when standing still the character continued to weirdly hop and flicker in place when looking uphill (it disappeared as soon as turning the character to look downhill). Anyway, the issue was that I applied the layer "Water" to the character and then clicked "Apply to all children" instead of "Apply to this element only". I've now set the gameobjects of the character back to their original layers (character, subcaracter, overlay) and applied the water layer only to the very first gameobject and now everything works as before. Posting this because maybe it helps others too. Have a nice weekend :)