Can't setup a first person character with FPS Mesh Tool

Cheo

I'm just reposting something I wrote on the Discord server :

Hello everybody, has any of you managed to create a first person character with a mixamo model and arms separated with FPS Mesh Tool ? Because as for me, this is driving me insane :0 I know how to setup the Nolan character in third and first person, as well as how to import and use a mixamo character, I've done it many times - but I'm stuck when it comes to FPS Mesh Tool.

The "NolanFirstPersonArms" object works correctly, I can associate it with any character - but arms cut from any other model don't seem to work !
Here's where I think the problem is : when I create any new game object with FPS Mesh Tool and make a prefab out of it, it becomes a different kind of object.
I'm really not sure how to explain it - nor if I understand it at all ! - but as you can see in this video (one of the only available on this subject), when the guy puts an FPS Mesh Tool object into the assets panel, it becomes a prefab with this arrow symbol on the right with which you can see the object's children :

In my case, if I separate a mixamo character's arms and turn them into a prefab, they'll turn into a prefab which doesn't have this arrow icon.
This is the only lead I have so far :/ I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself clearly enough, so I can post screenshots or videos if I have to.
Still, allow me to repeat my main question : has anyone successfully separated a mixamo character's arms with FPS Mesh Tool and setup a first person character with them ?
Sorry for the long text, and I hope you can help me out !

Hi Cheo - Sorry for the delayed reply with the forums being down.

Yes, many of our users have used mixamo characters successfully. Have you seen this tutorial by the FPS Mesh Tool developer?
. It is a little hard to follow since he isn't talking but he goes through the process step by step.

Take a look at that and if you are still having issues maybe you could record what steps you are doing.

Hello, I'm afraid you misunderstood me, let me clarify : I'm not asking about how to setup a mixamo character with the UCC, I have no problem doing that. The real issue is with the arms : what I want is to cut a mixamo character's arms and use those in a first person view, just like the Nolan FPS arms prefab is meant to be used.

Here is a video I recorded so we can be on the same page :

One step is missing of course, I didn't change the weapon's and the arms' transforms, but that's not relevant, the issue is still visible.
As you can see, the arms prefab created with FPS Mesh Tool doesn't work correctly, while the Nolan FPS arms work pretty much instantly.

I hope that cleared things out a bit, in fact I should have made this video first ! Anyway, can you help me out with this now ?

Your video is marked as private so we aren't able to view it.

As far as I know you are not able to save the arms out separately into a generic prefab with FPS Mesh Tool. We have only used the high level FPS Mesh Tool features though so this would be a good question for the FPS Mesh Tool publisher.

Look at the first video I posted : the guy clearly creates prefabs with FPS Mesh Tool. It was posted about 6 months ago, so I don't know if there were any changes in the meantime. I'm going to try and contact the FPS Mesh Tool developer, because this is driving me crazy !

Anyway, if we push FPS Mesh Tool aside then, do you know how I could turn a mixamo character's arms into a prefab equivalent to the Nolan FPS arms object ? I have just tried removing the rest of the body and useless bones in blender, but it resulted in a failure again : the arms are just staying in T-pose !

(Oh and you should be able to watch my video now, if that helps)

do you know how I could turn a mixamo character's arms into a prefab equivalent to the Nolan FPS arms object ?
You would have to use a modeling tool such as blender to separate the mesh and save it out separately. FPS Mesh Tool just hides the mesh rather than creating a completely new generic object.