Best practice for character to character synced animations (takedowns, stealth kills, handshakes, hugs).

Howdy again!

So I'm trying to get the kind of "two models play animations together, then thing happens" character interactions that are all over games. Stealthkills, executions, I know some ways of how to generally DO this, but i want to ensure i'm doing this in-line with how this toolkit should work.
The needs are, loosely,
1. approach a character from some direction
2. if some condition is met (am behind them, they're at 20% hp, i have CHAINSAW equipped, ect), interact in some way (use key, melee attack, ect), and trigger the two of them to play lined-up animations together, then they die/go about their buisness/trigger an extra scene.
(but really just " press BUTTON when you're properly detecting your target's collision collider, move/slide into place, slide/rotate the enemy into the proper spot, then play dedicated anims together" boils it down)

my problem is that i'm not sure how much of this is supported, and how much i'd need to code/use playmakers for. It's a thing i'm sure i could figure out, but woudl rather not reinvent if i don't have to. I'm also not certain if this is more of an AI thing (i also have btreedesigner, i could tell the to use a "getexecuted" ability or something. ) or no.
The fact that the counter-attack/parry system CAN send an event/signal of sorts to the thing you're counterattacking (counter -> enemy staggers), tells me that you CAN get these things to line up out of the box and i'm just missing something... but now that i say it, that might have been part of melee-room sword dude's ai script. hm.
I've managed to get the IDEA working using an interaction ability that triggers an animated interaction on the npc and treating the character like a door i'm "opening", but it involves dedicated trigger/bool animator calls to bespoke takedown anims and that is verymcuh not in the workflow, plus it seems awful to exapnd.

My presumption is whatever the answer is is wrapped up in the Move Towards ability and some form of object detection. That, and perhaps the interact ability? Not sure. And being able to wrap it up like the Interaction system with each dif animation being a different ability int for the sake of the animator would be great. (5 = AttackManWhileCrouched, 3=AttackTallAlienWhileStanding, ect).

Last edited:
Have you seen this page? This gives a basic idea of the counter-attack setup:

This system does not require AI, but it does require the two abilities to work together. I would take a look at these scripts to see how it works, but at a high level when the MeleeCounterAttack abilities decides that it should run it tells the MeleeCounterAttackResponse ability to start playing as well. This is done within MeleeCounterAttack.AbilityStarted.

Using this setup you are able to sync two characters.