Animation and disappearing arms

AntL

Hey Justin, just looking into adding animations to the animator controller for simple events such as opening doors, sitting down etc (first person perspective). I've been looking at the Chest/Door objects for reference, but I've added the animation to the Full Body Layer (the animation affects arms, torso, legs etc). The animation on the object works, as does the animation on Nolan. The issue is that when the animation runs, Nolan stashes his weapons (as directed) but during the animation, his arms are invisible (this is both in game and scene view) before reappearing and requipping when the animaton ends.

The animation was created using the Nolan rig, so I don't believe that's the issue. What do I need to do to make the arms visible?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    139.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Ok thanks @Justin. A little confused though - I can understand just animating the arms, but if you have an animation (as I do) that requires arms plus the rest of of body, how do you animate that?

Thanks again.

If you're wanting to use the arms from the full body humanoid animations you can create a state which enables Force Visible on the Third Person Object component of your arms. In the regular demo scene there's not an example of this but if you have the Agility Pack you can see that there is a state setup for the Hang ability which force enables the arms.

Hey I think we might be at crossed purposed here. So I'm using First Person Controller and I want to see my arms (and rest of body whilst the animation is playing) while in first person mode - I *think* that the 'Third Person Object' component you are describing is only used for the Third Person Controller? Please correct me if I'm wrong!! ( I actually did what you suggested using the Force Visible flag and it made no difference).

Having looked a bit more into it, I can see by default that Nolan's Body_Arms material is InvisibleShadowcaster and the camera is too far forward to see the arms. If I change the arms to their proper materials and pull the camera's look offset Z back (using the state machine), I can then see the arms and the anim is playing correctly. So assuming this is the way to go, is there an 'approved' way of doing this, or just create a new ability? Thanks again

Last edited:
Oh.. looking at the code it looks like Force Visible is only shown if you have a third person asset. This is because it interacts with the perspective monitor which is a third person component. For right now it looks like you have to use the first person arms if you want them to be visible, similar to the interact abilities in the demo scene. I have made a note to add the first person arms to the agility pack.

Ok I understand. So I guess this brings me around to my original questions - can we do full body animations ATM? As I say, switching materials seems to be the simplest solution for the moment?

Thanks again

In order to do full body animation you'll need to create your character at the start without specifying any third person objects. When you create your items you'd then not create any first person items. The downside of this approach is that the weapons will clip with objects in front of you because they are not being rendered with a second camera.

Right now there isn't a way to swap the materials.