Abilities only working once for each weapon/ability, Including firing.

Alarconte

After trying for 26 hours to solve this issue, quite frustating, I came here to ask:
First Note: This problem appeared at the same time that suddenly the cursor not confined on window (but locked).
Second Note: I've been setting up well the character and its abilities for three months, and these two problems didn't appear (the input problem, and the not confined window problem, everything worked fine before.

The Issue:
I press play;
1) If I click with the mouse on the screen (trying to get the locked focus for example, if I draw a weapon, it doesnt shoot.).
2) If I don't click with the mouse on the screen, if I draw a weapon, I can shoot a bullet, then I cannot shoot again.
3) Same with right click; I can trigger the secondary use of a weapon once, not anymore. (Only on one weapon)
4) If I switch to weapon 4, weapon 4 shows (This is same for all weapons); If I switch to another weapon (5), I cannot switch back to 4. If I switch to 6, I cannot switch to 4 or 5... This happens for all weapons
5. This happens with abilities too... But not the same. Is not just the first time I touch the key; I can crouch, and I can Uncrouch; But I cannot crouch again. Same for Crawling (I have it to an input button), Same for jumping, etc.
6. Regular moving with wasd works, and Dodge works when multitapping.

Using:
-Unity Old Input System
-UCC Last version (problem appeared in previous version and I updated it to check)
-UCC movement add-ons installed, configured on character and working previously.
-PlayMaker
-Adventure Creator.

Notes:
1: UCC Nolan demo works correctly.
2.I checked the animator monitor log; It registers ok the abilities that work; But when an Input doesn't make an ability works, it just don't show nothing (so I guess is not an animator issue.
3) I have a low quantity of states right now; I don't have any state activate at all (that's intended behaviour... just saying that doesn't look like some state stopping correct behaviour).
4) I can see abilties getting activating when they do... There is no ability blocking anything permanently in Activate state as I can see.
4) I tried deactivating all Abilities, except Equip Item Verifier, Problem is the same.
5) I tried deactivating all playmakers integrations and adventure creator with the character. Problem is the same.

SO... I think this must be some quite silly problem... but is frutrating me the hell out, so I hope I can hear something to point me out to where could the problem lay.

PS: Maybe I touched something while the window wasn't confined and I couldn't see the mouse and everything comes from this? I don't know... Too tired right now xD

Lots of thanks.

This sounds strange. Are you able to reproduce the issue within a fresh project? This should help us determine where to start debugging.

This sounds strange
It is. A lot.
To add to it, not confined cursor in window problem solve itself randomly (I was working on configuring draggables and stuffs... and in the 50th time I press play, suddenly cursor was confined to window... and that was a big bug for my workflow).

As Nolan Demo works, looks like no need to create a new project for now, as step A I guess I'll start trying to make a new character and see what happens. I needed to change the character model eventually, but I didn't want to configure it another time so soon really.

So.... That strange behaviour of only allowing to make a full ability once (crouch/uncrouch once, climb a ladder once, unclimb a ladder once, fire a gun once...) (without animator error logs) doesn't ring a bell on where could lay the problem code-character wise?
I'm not great at traditional coding, so of course I'm not in place to go thru all UCC code trying to understand if something could be related.

Step A:
For starters, I created the 3d character anew (By that I meant duplicated the character, and changed the 3d model inside of it) in case the problem was downgrading from FPSmesh body parts to the regular skinned mesh (as FPSMesh was crashing unity when loading levels... maybe too complex model character or something strange), and with the new character, copied all components progresively from the previous character, But the same problem is there still...

As UCC needs so many components to work, is hard to try a minimun viable product everytime you need to check something like this. Also, I noticed a lack of console warnings when many missing components.

In this new test, some abilities don't even start, but probably something is not configured.

So Step A failed.

Step B:
Create a new character with the same 3d model via the Character Wizard, Basic abilities, and looks like working correctly (I can multiple jump and crouch etc).
I attach fps material component hider, Adventure creator integration,, looks like working correctly.
I copied the whole old Locomotion values to the new character... Looks like everything works
(Is crawling, uncrawling, crawling again, using ladders.....
I copied the Final IK components, configured them again, Looks like working.
I could keep doing this and not sure if I'll meet a point where the previous behaviour (the game breaking bug) would appear.

But Unity scene crashed 'cause I tried to undo an automatic wizard canvas creation so... I'll have to start again anyway.

Conclusion:
SO....... The problem looks like be in some hidden value or just something I fail to see, on some UCC script of my original character... Or maybe some parameter that is hidden (I checked with Debug and found nothing).
I would really know how to fix it as the amount of work to configure again everything without just copying components that work...

It will really help if the coder would know having a clue of what could make that strange behaviour of the original issue.

(Specially of course, in case this happen again... And also because it didn't look like I did nothing exactly to be suddenly that bugged.

Last edited:
Well. I just put the character in working place making a new one.

I'm going to settle in that I reused/changed many parameters while testing (this is my 6º character iteration without not starting over that many times) and something strange broke after some months while trying to make the perfect controller and integrations.
If this happen again, I'll came here.