UI Completely Non-Responsive After Setup

Kaitte

I am trying to get this inventory system set up in my project and I've run into a problem that I can't seem to fix. I am trying to use the RPG UI with Unity's Input System and I've used the start guide for UI including the steps outlined for adding the Input System integration. I have also completed the steps specified by Instructions Panel after doing the initial UI setup.

As it stands right now, the UI is completely unresponsive to my clicking any part of it. I've tried reimporting and setting up the system in my project multiple times now and I simply can't get the UI to respond to me. I'm using canvases with buttons in other screens in the same project and they are working just fine so I am not sure what the problem with the UI is.

Can you confirm whether a new button created by you works in the scene you've setup your Inventory UI?

My guess is that the EventSystem/InputSystemUIInputModule ins't properly setup, or that you have two or more of them in your scene.
Can you confirm you followed those steps?

Also check the Input debugger and EventSystem in the inspector. That should give you an idea of whether the Event System is correctly selecting the UI game objects or not.

So now I am feeling a bit silly. I had a previous Player Input / Event System / UI Input Module attached to a different game object from before I had imported the UI package. I "unchecked" these scripts on my game object thinking that would disable them, but I guess it didn't. After actually removing these components the UI started behaving as expected.

My main problem now is that "Unity Input System" script that seems to be required to use this UI package. The reason I didn't just remove my old Input System oyutright is that I had already set up a control scheme that works for my project. I really don't want to start from scratch here and your input script seems like it will be a pain to make work with my existing code.

I've tried simply removing your input script, but it seems like it has fairly deep roots into the rest of UI code and I get various runtime errors when the script isn't present. Is there anyway to go without using your input script and use my own code without having to recode a bunch of your script files?

Yes the Unity Input System component is required. Our system requires a (Opsive) PlayerInput to check for input such as Open/Close panel.
Here you'll find a list of the input names used in UIS (There aren't that many)

You'll also find where there are used. Meaning you could replace the components that use those inputs and replace them by your own code.

You should be able to use both your input and our input components at the same time. Even if they have different InputActionAssets (you can use the same for both if you want, you should be able to copy past input actions between input action assets in the Input system Editor)