"The EquipUnequip ItemAbility must be added to the character...

For some reason I am getting "The EquipUnequip ItemAbility must be added to the character" error several times when I first press play and have a weapon equipped. I checked the character and I do have an Equip Unequip ability added to the Item Ability. Why is this happening?

Are you getting this error within the Equip Scroll or Equip Switcher ability? This error will occur if you do not have an Equip Unequip ability that has a category which matches the Equip Scroll/Switcher ability.

Are you getting this error within the Equip Scroll or Equip Switcher ability? This error will occur if you do not have an Equip Unequip ability that has a category which matches the Equip Scroll/Switcher ability.
Hi,
I’m not getting this error with any other ability. I did have an issue where my weapon wouldn’t equip because I have two item categories and the first one wasn’t weapon. I switched to the weapon category on the EquipUnequip and then it equipped the weapon but I get this error. I’m not sure what you mean by “if the EquipUnequip that has a category which matches Equip ability”

On the character there are multiple equip abilities. Each of these abilities correspond to a different category within the Item Set Manager. For example, in the demo scene there are three EquipUnequip abilities and each of them correspond to Weapons, Left Hand Secondary Grenades, and Right Hand Secondary Grenades. When you are adding the Equip Scroll or Equip Switcher ability (which is where the error that you mentioned is coming from), that ability needs to also correspond to an EquipUnequip ability that has a category that matches.

My guess is that you've added an ability such as Equip Scroll, set the category to Weapons, but then not have an EquipUnequip ability that uses the Weapons category (or a similar category name).

Thank you for the support, Justin! For those that might have this problem in the future, When I set up my Item Type Categories, I created two categories, one for Items and one for Weapons. On your player controller's Locomotion component you need to change all of the Equip Item Abilities to ItemSet Category of Weapon since it defaults to the first Item Type Category.