Setting up a new Character with both perspectives

TryHarder

Hello, I've been struggling all day to create a character similar to Nolan that has both 1st and 3rd person views and actions, I can create a first person arms only character no problem and a third person character no problem, but I can't figure out how to combine the two. I have split my model up so I have Head body arms etc and I have tried to copy Nolans setup but I think my problem is how to correctly setup the 1P arms in 'First Person Objects', their doesn't seem to be a wizard for this so as I say I've been trying to copy the way Nolan was created but my arms don't work, for instance how do you set the character to punch in both 1p and 3p in the same character ? I can hide the 3p arms but then the 1p arms don't align with the camera like in Nolan, and I get all sorts of errors when I try to punch.

Any pointers greatly appreciated I have searched but can't find anyone else who's done this I guess most go either 1p or 3p but I need a character like Fallout where you can swap which in theory this should be perfect for as Nolan is exactly what I need but using my own Character mesh etc.

Thank you,

Or I guess I could have just asked is there any instructions or a video of how to combine a First and Third person character.

Thank you,

As a test have you created Nolan in both a first and third person perspective? If you watch the first person character creation video it should be a good guide for setting up the both perspective since there are more options for first person.

From there if you are using your own generic model for the first person hands you'll need to create a new animator. Take a look at this page for the details:

Hello Justin, thank you that's very helpful, I nearly have it working now but I just cant get my arms to align correctly, Nolans arms work perfectly but my arms are too high, no matter what I've tried so far I cant get them to come down to the correct position. I have them under 'first person objects' and its created the pivot etc all good. The arms however are up above the characters head and all you can see if the finger tips, which was amusing but now is very frustrating :)

I'll keep trying,

Thank you,

Ok Justin followed what you sent, and all working correct positions no errors Hurray, but no animation on the 1P arms ...crying....

I used the FPS Tool and just have arms I can use these arms fine with 1P setup but when i use them as 1P in the 3P setup they never come out of idle when I punch. So I just have my 3P character with First Person Objects and my 1P arms under that and the only items is 'myBody' which I created and works perfectly in 3P. switch to 1P and my 1P arms move in all good and my 3P animates ok and kicks etc but my 1P arms do not animate at all.

I must have missed a step but can't figure out where.........

Got it !!!! all working as I typed the above I'm thinking .... I did use my animator right ? Nope I had it set to 1P arms demo arrrhghrghrggg anyway all working now :)

1.5 days but worth it !!! thank you for your help !

One last question, as its all working perfectly now, when I am in 3P the hands are by the sides of the Character and come up as you punch, when I go to 1P the hands are already up ready to punch I really wanted them down by the characters sides as in 3P view. Any clue to where I've gone wrong on this would be great, then hes finished !

Thank you.

I'm thinking its connected to aim, so its like 1P is 'aimed' permanently.

in 3P when I right click the fists are raised, in 1P the fists are raised when the camera switches and right click does nothing I can't un zoom in 1P

Last edited: