Melee hits trigger damage visualization, but magic hits are not.

zoicelols

I follow the documentation as well as try to copy the demo scene. I don't see my dummy character's damage visualization when I hit him with spells. I'm assuming he is not taking damage, but when I swap to my melee weapon character and attack the same dummy, the damage visualization works and I can kill the dummy.

Are you sure the spell is correctly colliding with the dummy and applying the damage? Make sure your magic projectile is set up properly (e.g. its impact layer contains the layer of the target dummy), and manually check the dummy is actually receiving damage when the magic projectile collides. Also check the "Min Damage Amount" field in your damage animation.

It definitely isn't applying damage. The dummy never takes hits from my magic character. I set up the dummy with the enemy tag and on the weapon I set up the impact layer with the enemy layer.

Below are screenshots of my magic weapon item and my magic projectile particle.

The minimum damage requirement on damage visualization is at 0.

When the dummy is hit by my magic projectile, the projectile's tip shifts position to the outside shell of the model instead of the full length the projectile normally is supposed to go showing it detects the model is there. Also when I try adding the "target impact" on my item, it will trigger perfectly at my cursor on the dummy and also spawn the impact options I set up. So for some reason the impact of the projectile is not detected.

Magic Weapon:
1592334380960.png

Magic Projectile:
1592333598055.png

1592333872685.png

Last edited:
I also tested creating a completely new magic projectile and left it as default shooting pink random squares. I replaced my lightning projectile with it and shot it at my dummy. The dummy very inconsistently reacts to the hits.

I also tested the demo scene. I created a dummy and put him in the magic room. I used Demo nolan to shoot fireballs at the dummy and he reacts to every hit and can take damage and die. The dummy is a copy of the dummy from my scene. I'm lost.

Seems like it's an issue with the projectile itself then - can you try having your projectile be an exact duplicate of the demo Fireball projectile? The collider setup may be important here.

I duplicated the fireball and replaced the particle system on it and it worked. Thanks man. I don't know why I didn't try that.