Item Creation with Humanoid

strikesurfer

Hello,

So I went through the tutorials with the character that Opsive provides (Nolan) and got everything to work in First Person. However, when I attempt to go through the same process with my own character I get stuck at the First Person Item creation.

My character is broken down in the picture attached.

In order to exactly match the tutorial, I unpacked the prefab of a copy of my character and separated the arms component and made a prefab of the arms component. From there I follow the video exactly as is in the First person item creation video, and the arms and weapon are physically way above the characters head at runtime. I know there is a little bit you have to do after first building the item to the character, however, in my case the arms are not animated and they are way offset from the character, not like how when I set it up with the Nolan assets. I included the item setup field before building the gun to the character. Th eonly thing you can't see is the item parent, which in my case is the right hand of the humanoid. Any help to get it on track would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Character.JPG
    Character.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 6
  • EndResult.JPG
    EndResult.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 7
  • AssualtRifleSetup.JPG
    AssualtRifleSetup.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 7
So the issue is that the items are too far above the camera? You can adjust this position within the PositionOffset within the First Person Perspective Item component.

No that I can adjust with the offset. As well as the gun I can just manually adjust to put it in his hand. However, the arms aren’t even animating in the correct state like it was with the Nolan arms. That’s the issue I am having right now. They just stay in their generic tpose stance.

Ah, unfortunately that relates to Unity not being able to retarget generic rigs so you'll need to provide your own animations for a generic rig. If you have the FPS Mesh tool it'll allow you to use humanoid first person arms and because the Animator supports humanoid retargetting the arms will then work. In the long run though you'll want to create animations specifically for your generic arms.

Ah, unfortunately that relates to Unity not being able to retarget generic rigs so you'll need to provide your own animations for a generic rig. If you have the FPS Mesh tool it'll allow you to use humanoid first person arms and because the Animator supports humanoid retargetting the arms will then work. In the long run though you'll want to create animations specifically for your generic arms.
If I do have a library of animations already, is that something I need to specify upon creating the character initially?

Or can I use your already comprehensive library in the animator and just slot in my animations in place of all the demo one's but leave all teh conditions for the transitions intact? Thanks Justin!

You can use the existing animator, but I'm not sure what Unity will do if you use an animator that has animations which use different rigs. The animator that we created works well for the demo scene, but for your specific game you'll likely have different features than the demo so for best results I would create a new animator and go from there. This is also what we recommend doing for the main animator controller (under new animator controller) as well.