General pointers for making my own integrations

Einarm

Hi,

I have a lot of different assets from the Unity Assetstore that don't necessarily work very well together (which I guess is the case for many besides me). Is there some kind of integration guide for the Ultimate Character Controller? By this I mean a starter guide for how to write your own integration, not how to use an existing one. If not, can someone provide me some quick pointers as to where I should start? How to pass data to and from UCC, how to intercept a specific action in code, how to take control away from the player, that sort of thing? All done from the code side of things.

I'm not asking for a very detailed step-by-step explanation, just some well-informed guidelines so that I don't start just randomly messing around.

Cheers,
Einar

Because each integration is different there really is no set guide. You'll need to identify that the purpose of the integration asset is and then find a way to work it in with the existing character controller structure.

So it is not built with extensibility in mind? There are no controllable states, exposed events and input manager handlers that easily and generally can be hooked into with code and extended?

It is definitely built for extensibility. There are a lot of events that you can subscribe to, and a few of the integrations use these as well. The other main way to integrate is to subclass, which is what all of the input integrations do. It's just tough to come up with a general guide because each integration is different and specific to an area. The Rewired integration is completely different from the Behavior Designer integration, for example.