[Error] The Head bone is not assigned to the character (UMADynamicCharacter)

Kat34

Hi there,

I was working with the Base UMADynamicCharacter prefab for a few days. Today, while I am waiting for some answers for my other problem from Justin I decided to work on something different and tried to implement the customization for the character. I did change some parameters on UMA Dynamic Character Avatar and UMA Data. After these changes, I started to get this error. Is there a way to fix this? The camera is not positioning in the right position because of this error. The camera is still following the character, but it's not like it's supposed to do.

Screenshot_51.jpg Screenshot_53.jpg

Last edited:
I think that error is related to this post. The Animator is not initialized - @DavidC wrote an explanation here:

The Keep Avatar toggle was added to the Bone Builder docs but let me know if it fixes it for UMA as well.

Thanks for the reply, Justin. I tried both of Keep Avatar toggle on and off. When It's enabled, the character is completely broken. I am already using the disabled version of the Keep Avatar toggle, but I am encountering that problem which I share in the first message of this thread.

I thought about a solution about it but the UCC is not in an open namespace, I can't reach my classes from in it. I know the reason why I can't access the classes from in it but maybe this example can help with something. The Transform.FindDeepChild could help with this situation. I did use the HumanBodyBones directly because in this scenario the head name is the same as that in the rig. for example;

using UnityEngine;

public class _Animator : MonoBehaviour
{

/* ------------------------------------------ */

public Transform GetBoneTransform(Animator _animator, HumanBodyBones _bone)
{
Transform _return = null;

_return = _animator.GetBoneTransform(_bone);

if (!_return)
_return = _animator.transform.FindDeepChild(_bone.ToString());

return _return;
}

/* ------------------------------------------ */

}

Last edited:
The character controller is in an assembly definition so you should then be able to access the character controller namespace. This page has more info under Assembly Definitions:

Okay, I did it and test it with the _Animator class. It didn't solve anything because it's trying to get the Head before character creation completed. It's debugging an error for one time and after character creation, it's getting the Head and stops giving error. Is it will be a problem in the future?

Edit:
I mean, I am thinking about just skipping this error. It seems like it's not affecting the gameplay or controller, just an error before character creation completed. After that, it's getting the bone.

Last edited: